Have you ever had a boyfriend/friend/family member/loved one in prison/jail?

I am currently dealing with the new situation of having a loved one in jail, and am looking for anyone who has similar experiences or words of encouragement and support to share. Have you ever had a loved on in jail/prison?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• my brother is in prison....well originally he was busted for doing meth...then he went to jail for like 6 months...then when he got out he didnt do meth but he was selling it...so he went back for another 6 months when his PO popped him 2 weeks before he was supposed to gett off probation...so then when he got out he moved back in with his ex...apparently his GF had some residue on some baggies in her jewelry box and he is in for like 2 years....hopefully hes learning his lesson...

one good thing that came out of it...he finally got his G.E.D....if you need to chat send me a message
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 1:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My dad was in and out of jail almost my entire life.
    So was my uncle, a cousin, and a couple of so called friends (whom i no longer associate with)

What would you like to know?

It CAN be upsetting at first, but if you know that they did whatever it is that they are in there for, then you have to know that they are there to learn a lesson. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully since this is a first, they will learn their lesson and straiten up.

Just write letters, and go to his visitations as often as you can. They live for letters - it gets very lonely in there. My dad always told me that nothing was more disappointing than it being time for mail call and not having his name called.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• yes and he was put in there for drugs. I was 2 months pregnant when he went and I sold EVERYTHING I could in our appartment so he would make bail to the point of where when he finally got out, we lived with my mom. It was so stupid. We arent together anymore.But hang in there! I know how bad it feels, just think of how he feels doing nothing all day every day. GL message me if you need to talk!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have a friend/sort of boyfriend who is currently in county jail for something that he assures me and his family that he absolutely did not do, and so far, they don't have any actual evidence against him at all...he's just biding his time until the preliminary hearing when the are supposed to be dropping the major charges. We write almost daily, and talk about twice a week on the phone, but I guess I was just in need of some words of encouragement and support from anyone who has experienced having a loved one in jail. It gets tough being away from them, and since I'm in a different state, it's a little harder. -OP
    Anonymous

• yes i have dealt with a few people being in jail. no matter what the reason keep in mind they need a friend write letters cuz thats all they have. would love to talk to you more just send me a message
    momma2beat21

Answer by momma2beat21 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• yes and be careful. They can play you like a fiddle while they are in there and use you then dump you when they get out. Even family members will use you if you let them. They ask for money and for you to pay collect calls from them so they are not lonely. They ask you to be there for them and send stamps then they write others with the stamps you send. I'm not saying turn your back on them but be careful to not allow them to use you. Most don't show their appreciation when they get out. They even forget you exist and helped them when they were inside. If you need moral support there are groups for ppl with loved ones inside. good luck (been there many times and gotten the short end of the stick with every one of them who "needed' me)
    Anonymous

• My ex fiance was in jail for 2 years for robbery and drugs. It was hard on me at first because I loved him soo much but after awhile during those 2 years I got tired of it and I left him for my now hubby.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009