Help Stopping Barking!!!!!

I have a 7 month old miniature schnauzer, and he's a good dog, EXCEPT when he sees kids, he always does a low growl and then barks. Well, he barks at everyone but he only growls at kids. Once he smells the kid, he still barks but doesnt growl. I'm trying to make him stop barking and have tried everything I can think of except a bark collar! Any suggestions would be very helpful, as its extremely annoying and loud!

AshlieTolliver

Asked by AshlieTolliver at 2:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pets

• this is wierd but always associate one word with"STOP" besides the obvious yelling stop lol We walk into our house and we have 6 dogs and all of them bark, EVERY TIME SOMEONE COMES TO THE DOOR OR IN THE HOUSE! We got into the routine of saying "QUIET!" and it works! use that one word to specify to him to stop barking. If not, Im sorry but spank him when he does it! GL!! Let me know how it turns out!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I've done all of that, the spankings, the telling him to be quiet! He's so stubborn! He doesnt care! I'm just concerned cause I'm due in like 7 weeks, so maybe he's overprotective? I'm not really sure, I just dont want him to bark when I finally get the baby to sleep!

My husbands uncle sprays their dog with a water and vinegar solution when she does something bad, I just havent gotten around to trying that yet.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 2:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If you cant get him to stop don't use a bark collar!! I only say this because i tried it on my Jack Russel and she learned in 2 days how to bark so it wouldn't shock her. But now instead of barking she cries that high pitched puppy screech they do when they just want attention its is much worse than barking and the bark collar cost like $40.00 and that was a waste so don't waste your money. I don't have much advice on how to get your dog to stop but i wanted to warn you about the collar. My dog is now 2 and a half and she still does it and she only had the collar on for 3 days when she was 6 months old.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My friend uses one of those citronella bark collars. So it doesn't shock them, it sprays citronella, and apparently dogs don't like citronella. It totally works on her dog, and her dog barks a LOT. Now all she has to do is show her dog the collar and she stops. Just an option.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks, he only barks when he sees people when we are outside, so the bark collar might work, but i'll try the citronella one first! Thanks y'all!

He never barked until my husband started barking at him while they played, and now he barks when he sees people.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 4:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have a almost 2 year old femal schnauzer and we have used the bark collar with success....yes it shocks her but she learned and now we only have to show it to her and she shuts up quick.....they are an intelligent breed.....and they can be very vocal...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 8:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks! I'm gonna try a bark collar I think. He is smart, he is just very territorial also. Thank michaux
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 9:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• There is such a thing to prevent the dog from barking we have two and it works.You can get it at petco or petssmart.It cost$100.00 though but it is well worth it.We have 4 dogs and two of them bark like crazy but not anymore.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 12:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm working on teaching my 8 month old terrier to stop barking. I use a water bottle & spray a stream in her face & tell her no. The key is you have to do it everytime. After 2 weeks, she stops as soon as she sees the water bottle.

She also comes up to me wanting me to squirt water in her mouth instead of going to the other room to her bowl! But hey, she's not barking at everything anymore.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a try and see what works!
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 7:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2009