Christians only

Someone killed most of a family of people who were not Christians and who never professed faith in Jesus. Years later, on his deathbed, the murderer confessed his deeds and accepted Christ as His Savior. How would you respond to this comment by a surviving member of the family: "So, according to you Christians, my whole family is destined for final punishment, while the person who murdered them now has the promise of heaven? Is that what your religion teaches?"

(This was taken from our study last week, and I still don't have an answer. )

Lexylex

Asked by Lexylex at 2:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First thing I would say is that I am sorry for their loss. I think that the theology has been explaned well by Cinnamon and November, but what is needed in this case is compassion then theology.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I don'teven know what to say to this. But God knows all and he will reap what he sewed! God has a tender heart for those who have suffered greatly so hope and happy thoughts are with the family. But, they had a chance and you are supposed to live your life like it is the last day. If they knew the word of God and didn't want to accept it, then as mean as this is, we cant do anything. God gives all His blessings to us, its our decision whether or not we take them in or leave them be.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• "So, according to you Christians, my whole family is destined for final punishment, while the person who murdered them now has the promise of heaven? Is that what your religion teaches?"

Yes.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You have to answer that question based on Bible teaching. Acceptance of Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven. So, whether we like it or not, the murderer goes to Heaven. Remember also that God has said that our ways are not His ways.

It is so simple to accept Christ for who He is and yet time and time again, we want to question it. I know that I exist. My parents can attest to that. 2000 years from now, there will be those who will say that I am just a myth. Never existed. But I did.

Jesus has a Father who says He does exist as well. 2000 years later, some want to say He does not. Who is correct????
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My answer would be that I personally do not believe that our only chance to be reconciled with God is during our Earthly lives. I believe everyone, even after death, is given that chance.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• As christians we are to be christ like and that means to be able to forgive. Jesus died for present future and past sins t be forgiven. And the bible says in Romans that "if thou shall confess with thy mouth and believe in thine heart that God has risen from the dead that thou shalt be saved." so he would be forgiven and accepted into heaven. sin is sin its not on levels the way ppl like to think.
    Tishanti

Answer by Tishanti at 3:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Only if he is honestly sincere in his repentence and acceptance of God. And Honestly, Only God knows whats in his heart.

Is it fair? No. But thats the human way. God loves us all, even those who do not believe. So, if a murderer confesses his sins and accepts Jesus as his savior truthfully, thats what God wants.
    Anonymous

Not according to me, according to God :-) None of us are accepted into heaven based on our own merrits. My faith in God is not contingent on a "deal" I have with him that I'll get into heaven. There is no "you scratch my back, I'll stratch yours" with God; my arms are not long enough to reach his back to scratch it. I don't compare myself to others and say "I'll go to heaven but they won't because I'm better" because there's always another person out there more Holy than me that I'D be the filthy hell-destined sinner in comparison. I am a sinner and am unfit for heaven just like any other person on this planet. It is our acceptance of Christ and belief in his sacrifice (TRUE belief) that offers salvation by grace for all who acept it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• That beings said, if they believe in God and heaven and want to go to be with him there, why punish themselves by rejecting God over who else may or may not get into heaven? If you know God is real and reject him out of spite; your spite will be the least of your worries in hell. I think each individual needs to focus on their own relationship with God rather than worry about everyone elses's what they are or aren't getting.

I also agree with Kelley. Although I wish everyone would have the opportunity to serve God on earth, I realise that doesn't happen to some. I don't think reconcilation with God is limitted to this lifetime. When we stand before him faith and repentence are inevitable and I believe that faith and repentence are still acceptable to God who desires none of his creation should be seperated from him.

Entrance into heaven is God's call. He doesn't rely on human logic :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• What they are doing is saying that this is unfair, because they are comparing their family members to a murderer. Basically, "My family members were not as bad as that guy!!!"

But we are not judged based on how bad we are in relation to other people. No one on the planet is good enough to get into heaven on their own merit. Jesus said, "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven"

So IF we could have a standard of righteousness for comparison -- it wouldn't be the murderer -- it would even be the righteous scribes and pharisees-- our only standard for comparison is Jesus.

However, God in His mercy has paid the penalty for ALL sin and given us the ability to be forgiven. Jesus paid the price for the murderer's sins, and the murderer accepted that gift. The sin didn't go unpunished, that would be unfair, Jesus had to suffer for it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009