Should religious organizations be tax exempt?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most have some type of charity presence in the community, and this may not be possible with a tax burden. I think only what goes to these efforts should be tax exempt.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• They are here in Texas. We have a church credit card for activities, food, material, exc.... My mom uses it at fabric stores for baptism and conformation banners as well as supplies for VBS!

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You don't think that's stepping over the 'separation of church and state' line?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Not unless the things they are buying are strictly for charitable usage (which of course would be very difficult to prove). Teaching religion I do not consider to be charitable. But if they are buying food for a soup kitchen that should be exempt.
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 2:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No, I dont. I believe that teaching the word of God to children is the best thing in the world to do.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think all religious organizations should remain tax exempt unless they use their funds to try to change or influence any legislation. If the government is forbidden to stick its nose in the church's business, then the church is also forbidden to stick its nose in government business.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Tax exempt status should be reserved for those organizations that are a necessary public service such as schools and cancer foundations for instance and not based solely on their charitable status. I do not believe that religious places of worship are a necessary public service. It makes much more sense to see tax exemptions as a way to encourage organizations which work for the public benefit rather than personal profit. If a church does in fact run a soup kitchen for instance that should be tax exempt. There is a fine line in a church between what is used to actually help the greater good and what is used to convert followers....that is neither of charity or public service.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Nonprofits shouldn't be taxed, which they are not. However, I am very sketchy about religious organizations. Reason why, as an entity they are to be treated as nonprofit, but I've seen them stretch that too far in some of their actions. Being religious does not exempt you from the law.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Wasn't there an episode of Married With Children where Al created a church so he wouldn't have to pay taxes?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The point of tax exempt status is to prevent the government from taxing religions it disagrees with out of existence. It's not about the church getting free post-its - it's about the sitting congress deciding Muslim=terrorist and levying an 80% tax against all Muslim organizations.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009