• In the Spotlight:

Are you for or against buying school supplies for your child and their classroom?

I keep seeing journals, questions, and just basic rants about how they hate having to buy tissues, sharpies, hand sanitizers, dry erase markers, etc for their child's classroom. I don't know about you but I like to do this for my child's classroom and teacher(s). If giving a box of tissues or an extra pack of dry erase markers means that the teacher will have those supplies ready when needed then they can concentrate more on teaching than having to worry about supplies. So, I want to know what your opinion is on this and why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thanks for this post. I'm a teacher and I hate reading all of the posts from people complaining about having to buy school supplies for their child. If you shop around during the back to school sales, most of the items are pretty cheap. Most schools ask for extra supplies so that the supplies can be used throughout the entire school year so the teachers don't have to constantly ask parents for more supplies.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 7:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I dont mind doing it if i can afford it. If not i buy them throughout the year.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I see no problem with this- Some parents can't afford basic school supplies, so at the school my children attend you can buy backpacks with things in them for the needy children. Its our responsibility as humans to make sure that every child has a chance at a good education, if that means its on my dime, I'm OK with that, because education is for our future.

Also I think that its nice to help the school and teachers out, more often than not the school doesn't have budgets for things, so teachers pay for these things out of pocket.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• As you stated, not having to worry about supplies is a good thing. What's the big deal? In my experience most of the supplies are pooled and distributed as needed anyway. On the other hand, I do expect the plastic 3 prong pocket folders I bought so they would last at least most of the year to be the ones my daughter used. I don't know how many paper ones we went through last year. At least they aren't requesting particular colors for the folders this year...Anyway I don't have a problem buying what they ask because all the kids end up using the supplies in the long run.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think it is important to help supply the class, even if it is a small contribution (and even if it is not requested). Teachers do not get paid enough for the job they do, and it is awful that most of them spend a good chunk of their income on supplies for the classroom. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but if $20 in supplies can help, i am all for it!
    joaniedanger

Answer by joaniedanger at 3:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I hate having to do it, i can barely afford my kids stuff why should i have to buy stuff for the teacher too I get that they should have to worry about teaching so in my mind the district should be responsible for the sharpies and dry erase markers etc. I probably wouldnt mind so much if every parent had to do it (whihc they are) and they actually did it but most of the parents at my kids's school dont even buy their own kids supplies so every one has to bring extra and I am not made out of money. I dont mind helping out when i can afford it and in my own way i dont like being told that i have to do this because 80% of the other parents wont and so they take it out of my pocket, its wrong. Especially in this economy I cant afford the extra and this requirement means my kids will go without clothes for the school year so ican buy the teachers things. ITs not right and not fair to punish my kids cause some parents refuse
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 3:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• to be responsible for their kids supplies. I get that some cant afford it cause i m one of those that can barely make it work but if you are driving a brand new fancy schmancy car then you damn well can afford supplies for your kids
    sorry for the rant
    no i dont think teachers supplies should be my responsibility
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 3:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• most of the things we buy are put in a bin for that particular student to use through they year - instead of having to send a note home that they need a gluestick...then having to go find one and remember to get it to school.

other things like the tissue, hand sanitizer....what's the matter with that - its not that expensive and since EVERYONE's sending one its not like my kid will be the only one.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I don't mind buying things my child will use like pencils, markers, folders. But I do not buy the ziplocks and tissues and stuff like that. My reason? My mother is a teacher and has cabinets at home full of those "group supplies". It's like her personal free shopping spree. DD gets her small hand sanitizer and tissues in her backpack but I won't supply them for the teacher.
    momma-flynn

Answer by momma-flynn at 5:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My daughter is about to enter Kindergarten, and I haven't seen her list yet. However, I don't mind supplying things for the teacher, although I am curious...what ARE those ziplock bags used for??

CathyMcN

Answer by CathyMcN at 9:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2009