what is my son to do?

My son has this friend that for the most part they play along very well. But later on during the day he starts getting wild and crazy. And my son wants nothing to to with him. His friend has some kind of Autism But he functions pretty well. I dont know if his Autism has antthing to to with it or not. So the question is what is my son to do?

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 2:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If you know that there are problems after a certain amount of play time limit the playdate time. My son played with children with autism and after a while the same thing would happen. The mother would get more upset then I did. I just explained to my son what was going on and to just keep playing.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The autism probably does have something to do with it. Autism is very complicated to deal with so your best bet is just to try and have your son not spend time with this other child during that time of the day. It isn't a great solution but unless you find specifically what is triggering the behaviour you will not be able to fix it and finding triggers can be extremely difficult.
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 2:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• What exactly do you mean by him getting "wild and crazy" ? .. If it isn't something your son wants to deal with then as PP said just try to keep your son away from him during these times.. There isn't much else you can do.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The friends is probably overstimulated at that point. Once the friends starts to act up, how about a movie to calm them down? Or that is the cue that the friend needs to go home. Talk to your son about the friend, that he has some specialness that when he gets too excited, he acts up and he needs reminders to calm down. Talk to the friends mom about how she handles it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009