the battle!

alright, i am 21 years old and this is my first babe. i am due on the first but everyone and their cousin is telling me i am ready any second now. my family, including my hubby are freaking out because they baby me horribly and are afraid for my welfare in childbirth. they are all begging me to do epidural so that they don't feel guilty about the pain i am going to be in.

i am the strongest person i know, been working 2-4 jobs since i was 18 and even working construction as a hobby in the hot texas sun. i don't want something stuck into me to restrict my movements, i want to heal fast and i need to be in controll. but i fear for my family- especially for my hubs because he feels guilty that he "did" this to me in the prime of my life and he will be the one with me the whole time. i wish i could tell them that i'll be fine going natural but i am scared and am not positive i'll be fine myself. how do i face this?

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 2:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would take that epidural i am currently on baby number 3 and i know how the labor pain is it is unbearable even though you are a strong person this is way past unbearable take the epidural it eases off the pain trust me you will want it!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Do what feels right to you. It is not about them. Tell them u will be fine & appreciate their concern. Tell hubby it took 2. There is no reason 4 guilt.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Ohmama stop trying 2 scare her. I had my 1st totally natural & didnt once ask 4 an epi. I was 15. She seems like a strong woman. Im sure she can do it.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Seems 2 me u just have a low tolerance 4 pain.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• yeah the first time he apologized for this lovely surprise, i apologized to...for not becoming a nun.

but i also don't want to chicken out because then it would be like conceeding that i wasn't ready for all child rearing has to offer. i dunno, maybe it has something to do with my dad telling me that if i quit at the first sign i'll always quit...
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 2:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• U can always TRY to labor naturally. If u deem it to much u can still request an epi or iv pain management.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Do what feels right to you. I did it naturally and it was not unbearable!!!!!! yes, it did hurt, but i am still alive aren't I? And planning on having another one next year?

Don't do something that you don't want to do. It will take away from your child birthing experience if it is not how YOU want it to be. This is not something you can just do over, so think about it before you commit to taking drugs for the pain.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It hurts a lot. But if you truely want to do it, then do it. I had 2 natural births. I think it depends on how long your in labor for as well. Both of my labors lasted about 5-8 hours. So it was over pretty quick for me. If i had been in labor for days, i may have gotten something for the pain. Only you can make that choice. I had people trying to talk me out of my natural birth idea when i was pregnant with my first child too. But i did it, and as painful as it was, it wasn't totally unbearable, if it was women wouldn't do it everyday. :) I have a high pain tolerance so that helped me a lot. But in the end the pain doesn't make any difference, you see your beautiful baby and for get all about it, at that moment its all over and you have what you wanted. Plus i was up and walking around in minutes, it was great. Not to make it sound like i wasn't sore, but i wasn't in pain either. Good luck.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• How about a comprimise. Get a walking epi. You can still move around, you just don't feel the contractions.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Look up the risks of having an epi and show them to your hubby and ask him to seriously respect your wishes and tell him that once labor starts you will decide if you need one.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009