Ok, I wouldn't have thought of this happening. Would you? Caution: Awful.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533421,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r1:c0.094640:b26504568:z0

WESTWEGO, La. — Police say a Louisiana infant's body was covered with what appeared to be more than 100 small animal bites, perhaps some from rats, when she was found dead in her crib.

A Jefferson Parish coroner's office investigator says an autopsy did not immediately determine the cause of 3-month-old Natalie Hill's death.

Westwego Police Chief Dwayne Munch says the girl's father was in the front yard of the family's suburban New Orleans home Thursday shouting that his baby was dead.

Munch says the girl had severe wounds on her nose and leg along with dozens of suspected rat bites. He says investigators haven't determined whether she died before or after those injuries.

He says bloody animal footprints were in the crib and that her parents had traps out for rodents.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG, that is so sad. I didn't know rats attacked babies. Poor family.
    Anonymous

• OMG that is so terrible and terrorfying to know that is so close to me...wow...
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Sounds like neglect to me.

I worked in a care home, and we had a patient that had been born the second of twins, and she was mentally retarded and the first twin was not. The parents put her into the barn to die, where rats proceeded to gnaw off one leg up to her shin, all of one hand and 2 fingers off of her other hand before neighbors heard her screaming and came to her rescue.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• That is so disgusting. What in the hell is wrong with people?
    I hope the parents spend the rest of their pathetic lives in jail. With rats.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yes, rats eat living tissue. They are very dangerous animals and disease carriers.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Why the hell was she left in her crub alone long enough for rats to do that? I am so sad by this, that poor baby had to suffer before she even knew what life was!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• That is so terrible!!! I would go out of my mind if that was my child. I am a strong person and have been through the worst of the worst in my life, but my children are a totally different story. I and my SO were severally abused as children, and because of that even the littlest wound my children get is absolutely gut wrenching to me. If that was my child I would loose it! Sign my up for the loony bin!!!
    Anonymous

• Blue Saphire - Rats can be really nice pets. I had a few and loved them and they never attacked. However mine always had food.

Carolyn Barnett - That is SOOO sad. Poor kid.

Rats attack living creatures when they are desperate for food. What that dad did was neglect. There is no way rats would've been able to do that if he was watching his kid.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• OMG, this is possibly the worst thing I've ever read!
    lovetwins89

Answer by lovetwins89 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• that is so sick!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2009