How can you tell which are number 2 pencils?

Every holiday, and party gift bag my daughter gets more novelty pencils. I hate to go out and buy more. Is there a way to tell if they are #2 pencils worthy of the school supply list?

mardigras11

Asked by mardigras11 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in

• It's written on them. Usually down near the eraser end.

Or, you could try going to an office supply store. They usually have their pencils grouped by lead hardness and the staff should be able to help you find some #2.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 3:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It will say on the pencil "#2", normally near the eraser but sometimes you have to look to find it.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think all pencils are #2 pencils. Check by the eraser. The yellow or other pencils from the store, have it right on the box of pencils.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If she is young (I mean elementary) number two pencils don't really matter. #2 pencils are required on scantrons but it doesn't affect their writing either way. And even then, the teacher will have some on hand. Send with what you have and it will be fine.
    FlowerMom495

Answer by FlowerMom495 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I believe most novelty pencils are #2. There might be an imprint of the number 2 below the eraser.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yeah, majority of those pencils are number 2. A lot of the schools give them out for gifts, so I always assumed in school that they wouldn't give me a not-number 2 lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• They say #2 on the pencil.
    sarajrcart

Answer by sarajrcart at 7:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The only pencils that are not #2 pencils are the mechanical pencils. I have seen some with other #'s of lead. But other then that all others are generally #2 lead.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Flower mom 495 Best Answer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009