Dying Mother Creates 'Masterclass in Motherhood' for Husband, could you/would you?

When Jemma Oliver was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she set about preparing her family for her death. But rather than focusing on the funeral arrangements, the mother of two gave her husband, Jason, a detailed crash course in caring for the couple's two children, son Keaton, 4, and daughter Codi, 2. Jemma, 29, walked her husband through every aspect of being a mom and left him plenty of instructions about what to do once she was gone.

"Jemma thought of everything and then organized me so that I would be able to cope," says Jason, 32. He admits that when his wife fell ill, he had no idea how to manage most of her chores; he didn't know how to turn on the dishwasher, for example. "The house was total chaos until she took me in hand. Then slowly and patiently, Jemma told me what to do. She taught me how to do everything for the children -- and for my sake, too."

(contd)

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 3:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that it takes a strong woman to stop thinking about herself and her death, and start thinking about getting her family thou her untimely and unavoidable death. Good for her! I'm not sure I would be strong enough to show my husband how to survive without me.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• (cont) Jemma covered every possible detail in her masterclass; she hired a hairdresser to come to the house and teach Jason to braid daughter Codi's hair, telling Jason, "I can't have my girl looking scruffy. No bumps in her hair please!" She also left instructions about what clothes Codi could and could not wear, and made Jason promise to take her sisters with him when he shops for Codi.

But Jemma's masterclass didn't just focus on chores and clothes; she also chose schools for the children, and left cards for their birthdays and written instructions about how she wants them to be raised. Jemma Oliver died at her home in Wales in February, with her husband and children by her side; now that she's gone, Jason finds comfort in her notes.

"I constantly look at her plans and instructions to help me. I feel as though she's there watching over us, guiding us along the way," he says.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• wow...I hope that if something like that were to ever happen to me, I would handle it as gracefully as she did. Although, I have to say, my hubs can handle turning on a dishwasher, so I don't think my crash course would be quite as intensive.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 3:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• AWEEE!
    My god, she's was a strong woman.
    I would try to do that same as well. To do my best in after death to still care for my family.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I pray that if I were ever to come to such a demise, that I could be as strong a woman as she. That is amazing.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009