if a waiter is rude at a restaurant, do you confront someone about it?

if they're really horrible- no tip. but i'm always childishly embarrassed to talk to the manager about it. what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• OH no. I will tell them right to their face if they are rude to me. I'm very nice & not a big hassle to wait on when I go places...I order for myself & the kids & know what I want right away. If a waiter or waitress is rude to me or acts like I'm bothering them by being there...I'll let them know that I don't appreciate their attitude toward me & want to speak to their manager. If I have a great waiter or waitress I'll let the manager know that too though "cause I've has some awsome one's that have gone above & beyond to serve me. Don't be shy to tell the manager...they may not know this employee is acting that way....but also don't hesitate to tell them when they are doing a great job! Most people only anounce the bad to the boss instead of the good.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 3:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I always talk to the manager, I hate that they think they don't have to give u respect and get away with it. Of course no tip but why should u have to pay for anything atall? I complained to a manager in a fav restaurant of mine and we didnt pay for our meal. The server took 30 mins to come, took long to get our drinks no apology, rude when I asked for a side of sour cream telling me I have to pay for it, wtf of course im gonna pay for it, then my food came an hour later.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would if it was really bad. I never have had service that was bad enough to ask to speak to a manager but I have mentioned it to the waiter that I was not tipping because of something that was done badly. It depends on the waiter how they deal with it, I had one call over a manager and apologize and comp our entire meal, another time the waitress screamed at me, and our whole party got kicked out and banned from the place because we didn't tip her.
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 3:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Once, another waiter noticed how rude their co-worker was being & told the waiter to go do something else while they waited our table instead. I told the manager & they gave us our food for free.
    Anonymous

• I write a note on the back of the check, or speak with the manager

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• * I would NEVER tell a waiter or waitress I was not tipping them!!! At least not until after you've gotten your food...ever see the movie waiting???? LOL>
    Anonymous

• Having been a server before I know when I am giving bad service and when I am giving good service, If I ever go out to eat and I recieve bad service then I go to their website and send them a email about my services. Also I would call when I get home.
    Anonymous

• not unless you want them to spit in your food.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have no problem talking to the maitre d or the manager but it's after I've eaten (no chance for retaliation) and before i pay the check. I give them the opportunity to give me a free meal and let them charge it to the offending waiter.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If a waiter is rude, no tip. Luckily, I havent had one. I've gotten ones where they rarely come to the table but they were still pleasant.

I'd definitely tell the manager but after I've eaten and before paying the check. I wouldnt expect the whole meal free, but a little something. Thats just me though.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009