School for a stay at home mommy!?

I am currently a stay at home mom and I home school. I am going back to school this fall. I am taking four classes. Three onling and one at night. I have four boys. My hubby works to. But I am determined to get my Nursing degree!! I have gotten negative and positive comments. Some people are saying that's not possible!! Have any of you mommies been back to school with babies?

SouthernMOM1981

Asked by SouthernMOM1981 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in

• I have...and am starting another semester in a month...it's hard, but it's possible!
    countrygirl1987

Answer by countrygirl1987 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yes I am doing it and it is possible! I just got accepted into nursing school after taking online classes and night classes for the past two years, u will do great if u r determined!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am going to school and I have 1 yo and a 2 yo. It is totally possible. You have to make yourself set aside time to do the school work but it's possible. Don't listen to the negative comments they will only make you doubt!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 3:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• When my nephew was born, my sister was working full time (labor and delivery RN) and going to school for her Masters degree. She had a c-section, took 8 weeks off of work and two weeks off from school.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I homeschool, too, my six year old son. I have a five month old son as well and will be taking two online classes this fall towards a degree in accounting. since this is all new to me I don't really have an answer for you but I'll be watching this question with interest for the answers. and there is a group on CM for moms in school.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Online classes are very easy if u remember to log in when needed and keep on top of the assignments. If u r really good u can get ahead in you work and finish the class early or have a lil break in the middle of the semester so u can spend more time with the kids.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I went to a traditional college full time back in 1999 while I was a SAHM - 2 in school and 1 at home. I also volunteered at my girls schools, went on field trips, and single parented when my husband went on deployments.
    It CAN be done! :)
    The keys are organization, motivation, and an incredible amount of energy...lol.
    It does sound like you are taking on a lot, but only you know what you can handle so don't pay attention to what other people say. Just do what you believe is best, keep your goals in sight, and don't forget to look away from it all for a few minutes to look at a beautiful flower or a bird in flight.
    You can do it if you believe it!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yep, as soon as I decided to go back for Masters I got preggers, I have only been taking 1 class a semester until the last one. It is hard but not impossible, you just have to manage your time and a helpful husband helps. Good luck!!!
    garynjakesmom

Answer by garynjakesmom at 6:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It does present unique challenges. But it can be done. Last year both my husband and I were in school. Our kids are a bit older, 13 and the twins are 10. Our dinner table was rarely used for dinner and some nights were really late nights. But it can be done.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009