is 12 to young to go on a pline alone?

is 12 to young to go on a pline alone?
my 12 year old son wounts to go see his dad. but the only hway for him to get thire is on a plaine by him self.
i now its inportet that he see his dad but i am scared to let him go on a pline by him self.

all-we-need-is-

Asked by all-we-need-is- at 3:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Travel

• My stepson has done it, and was 11. You have to pay an extra $50 for a stewardess to stay with him. He will be led through security, onto the plane, taken care of on the plane, led off the plane and to his dad. There will be no point at which he will be left alone for anything to happen to him. No, it isn't too young, and it would actually be a fun adventure for him. DSS requested that we do that again this year, but we chose to drive. He hates the long drive so a plane ride was fun for him.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My sons flew together, without an adult when they were 10 and 11. Also, my mentally retarded aunt (had the mentality of a 5 year old) would often fly alone. You pay extra and the staff makes sure they are taken care of and supervised. We also had to give the name and address of the person who would be picking them up and they had to show ID. It's very safe. He will be ok!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I did it from the time I was 6 until I graduated high school. No problems.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My sister's step son has been going by plane to see his Mom for the past 2 or 3 years. he is 12. There is something special about the ticket.... Companion ticket?? Or something, the staff keeps a good eye on them etc etc.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• no until 15 they will chaperone him on and off the plane. He should be fine. Mine's flying from here to DC in September alone.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The first time I flew without an adult was at 12.  The flight attendants were great and everything went smoothly.  I'd suggest getting a direct flight, so that there's no worries about what happens during lay overs.

Kim, from justamomha.com

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 11:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I've seen kids alone as young as 7. He's a pre-teen. He's more grown than you think. He will be fine.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009