Grapefruit juice???

Is it okay for 8 month old DD to drink it? I was drinking some just a few minutes ago, and she wanted some, so I let her taste it, and she liked it... wanted more. I gave her a few more small sips, but then I started thinking about the acid in it... I was told not to give her drinks or fruit with acid when she was younger, but I'm not sure if it still applies. By the way its 100% pure grapefruit juice. I juiced it and drained the pulp myself...so no artificial stuff...

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 4:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, it depends on what advice you follow.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has been against juice. Grapefruit juice would be a juice that would have been one to wait until way later than 12 months (18 months?) since it is citrus. White grape is probably the best first juice. It is hard to find non-conflicting info.

The AAP thinks kids get too many calories from juice leading to obesity. Fruit is more nutritious than juice and juice drinking can lead to cavities. They encourage parents give water by cup.

However, in the January 2008 issue of Pediatrics, the Journal of the AAP, there is an article about a study that reviewed all the studies about starting solids and allergies and babies. The conclusions were that there is no reason to hold off on any food after 4-6 months even peanuts and eggs.

There has been little publicity about this and if this is now the official AAP stand. I'm trying to find out more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my daughter only got diaper rash when she had orange or pineapple juice ( i am guessing that grapefruit would have done the same)
    so i gave it seldom and watered down
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• personally no, it can be too acidic and make for a sick tummy.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't give any citrus until she's older. One of my sons has a NASTY reaction to citrus...still...and he's 3 now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2009