Who out there has done the cry it out method?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have. It usually works, but of course my DD has her stubborn moments. The CIO method is not for everyone/every child.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I do. Answering every little cry, IMO, shows the child that they cannot self soothe and mommy/daddy will do everything for them. Some cries need to be answered i.e. dirty diapers, sick, teething, hungry, etc. If there is nothing wrong with the child and it's a simple 'i want to be held all day long' cry then let them cry for a bit. especially if it's nap time and no nap has been had yet.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i do. and i started it at 6 weeks and now hes 3 months and he knows if i cant get him to stop crying after i change,feed,hold,rock,play with that he will go in his crib and hes usually there for like 5 mins and he stops crying and i go in there and get him and hes smilin at me :)
    Anonymous

• I agree with lilbit. I always check my dd to make sure it's not something she needs, but when it's nap time or bedtime, or I'm in the middle of making dinner, it wont hurt her to cry a bit.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think CIO is cruel before the child turns one.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• lol here comes the mommy know it all police lol
    Anonymous

• we did. It was rough at first but in my opinion it is the only way to go. Our daughter was actually a head-banger which did have us worried but the pediatrician assured us she really couldn't hurt herself. She said there was the possibility of knocking herself unconscious (crazy I know!) but that would be the bodies way of saying enough. She never knock herself out but she did give herself a bloody nose once. The first week was the toughest but it got much easier after that and since then we have no problems at bedtime.
    NavyMama6894

Answer by NavyMama6894 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Nope. My babies need something when they cry. I also view sleeping through the night as a developmental milestone, not something to be forced.

My toddlers are allowed to get emotional and cry about things, but I will never leave an infant or young child to cry for the purpose of teaching.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 6:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I never let my children cry endlessly, but I did and do allow a few minutes of crying if I know the child is fed, warm, dry, etc. My parents taught me when I was just a child myself that babies are sometimes overstimulated or sore from being handled too much. Letting them lay down and cry for a few minutes can help them get rid of that pent up frustration--just like crying helps me get rid of mine. As I said, though, it isn't ever a lengthy amount of time.
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 6:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I did with my 3 older children, when they were old enough, usually when they start with their own ideas and want things that aren't good for them. Now with my last two I have never let them CIO. I am not sure why, mostly because I just can't stand hearing the crying. Needless to say, they are spoiled. It sometimes feels as if they control me. My older three are well adjusted, considerate, & well behaved. I don't see nothing wrong with it when it is more a battle of the wills. Children need to learn that they don't boss everyone and everything.
    Anonymous