Is it wrong to put duct tape on a toddler?

Seriously though, I can not keep a band aid on this child to save her life. She just keeps picking them off. I've even bought industrial band aids if you can imagine and she still gets them off.

Then she picks at her big bite/scab/whatever I'm trying to cover so she leaves it alone until it bleeds again.

I swear I should just duct tape some gauze over them but then I'll probably get CPS called on me lol.

So any tips on how to get her to leave them alone? Or how to make it so I don't spend a weeks pay on bandaids?

Thanks!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 5:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't know if anyone said this yet or not but what about the guaze and then medical tape up all the way around like wrap it around twice so she can't peel it off as quick at least and it has a fair chance at healing maybe use some neosporin to hurry up the healing since you have limited time it seems cause she will figure out the med tape eventually too I bet but just a little longer.

As far as the grey tape I say no... it would more than probably rip her delicate skin when you take it off unless you use baby oil to take it off but I know her skin won't breath under it. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Happy Toddlering...lol!

http://www.theworkfromhomemom.com
    EboniSears

Answer by EboniSears at 6:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Duct tape? Ummm not a good call.

My son used to do the same thing but after he kept pulling them off, bleeding on everything for a tiny big bite that he dug into a crater he got his butt popped. It seemed him getting a spanking got him to stop taking the bandaids off.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• you know...thats a really good idea.

lol

I might have to try it the next time one of them NEEDS a bandaid.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• omg i thought this was going to be a toatlly different question.... do what you have to do to get the bleeding to stop, she might get mad but she won't be able to get it off lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• maybe try putting stickers on around the bandaid and tell her it's a bracelet??? just guessing here....LOL

I would say a thin strip of duct tape would not be a big deal just the width of the band aid. You can call your pediatrician too and see what suggestions they may have.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Have you tried the 'new skin' you apply it and it is almost like glue but your baby cant get it off and its water proof! it only takes a few seconds to dry.. that may help
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 5:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks ladies. New skin! *slaps head* I totally forgot about that stuff! Thanks!

We've tried cute bandaids but they come off quicker because she wants to look at the pictures.

2 is a fun age lol.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Um ok I can't edit the question but "big bites" is supposed to be "BUG bites"
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• New skin is great stuff, but be aware it burns like hell when applied. I use it all the time. I am not a big bandaid fan. I never had used them a lot. I guess I saw my friends kids going through band aids like water. Also they begin to think every scratch needs one. I cleaned whatever it was up good with peroxide. If it needed it a little bacitracin and let 'em go. There were a few times I wanted it covered to protect sheets or promote medicine in contact and I would choose to do that at night. In the meantime hand wash, handwash, handwash esp if she is picking. The average child in America touches his nostrils 3-6 times an hour. Our noses are breeding grounds for step and staph. Make a consequence for picking at sores if needed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• ugh.. should read *strep...sorry 5 yr old in my face and its'berry M portnant"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009