dogs & fleas

Well I just gave my dog a bath with flea and tick killer, but I still see some on him will they eventually die or do I need to do something else? He has never had fleas! ugh and how do I know I don't have them in my couch, how do you treat furniture? Now my head is itching, because I have had fleas in my hair from a friends cat! I'm going a little nuts here. lol Please help! Thanks.

travswifey

Asked by travswifey at 5:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Call or local vet or go to Walmart(or almost any store) and get the applicators or flea collars. As for the furniture, I think the stores carry sprays and things like that to get rid of the fleas.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks!! I feel like their in my head!! ugh! I'm going right now!! Thanks again!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• As for your house, vacuum everything really well and then throw out the bag or empty the canister and take it outside to the dumpster or your curbside trash can.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thanks, I just got back and spent $30 on stuff. I don't do bugs of any kind in my house. lol
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 8:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Hope it works for you! Fleas are so annoying!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• mom-2b

Answer by mom-2b at 10:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Check out this web page: http://www.squidoo.com/pet-questions
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a site link but it's not spamming so I think I'm ok. I've been in the veterinary field since 1991 and also live in Florida so I know all about the issues with fleas. If you want a direct link to the exact "flea" section, it is
    http://www.squidoo.com/pet-questions#module25405742
    Follow the instructions exactly and you'll get rid of those critters. Just an FYI, ONE FLEA alone can lay up to 50 eggs PER DAY!! So, once you get them under control and use maintenance to keep them controlled, you'll be fine. DO NOT use over the counter crap like flea collars or cheap liquid drops. They are dangerous and useless. Hope this info helps. Let me know if I can help you any more. I know what a pain fleas can be. (Why do they even exist?!)
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks for all the info and feed back!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 7:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• for fleas - use natural products like D.Earth...
    for cats, dogs, and farm animals....
    see here for more help:
    good luck
    Diatomaceous earth for fleas..
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Thanks!!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 7:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2009