Is it acceptable for pharmacists to object to dispensing birth control because of their religious beliefs?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on the pharmacy. If the pharmacy offers birth control then the pharmacist should fill the prescription. If they choose not to for religious reasons then they should hand your prescription over to a pharmacist who will. If they refuse to fill your prescription and will not return your prescription, sue.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• no, it is a legal prescription
    they should keep their opinions to themselves and or their church
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not! It has nothing to do with them, and they cannot assume what the situation may be by looking! I know when my DH and I were first together people thought I was so young, even though I am actually older than he is! Also, a lack of a ring means nothing, one of the jobs I worked we weren't allowed to wear our rings, because of the machinery. Also if they just disagree with BC in general, then its still none of their business! IF someone did that to me, I would report them to their superiors and if they actually owned the establishment I wouldn't ever go there again.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It is not like you are asking them to take it! It is your choice, and your right! He or she cant force their beliefs on you! I would take it up with a manager, and if you don't get anywhere then go to corporate! It is their JOB to fill prescriptions, no matter what they think about it!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Did this happen to you? I used to work at a pharmacy and never heard of something that outrageous. I'm sure it's illegal if he refused to fill your script.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• IF that ever happened to me I would report them immediately. It is none of their buisiness if a person is on birthcontrol or not. Good Grief.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• NOPE
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I'm sure it's illegal if he refused to fill your script.

It's legal. But they need to change the law to require any pharmacy that carries "objectionable" meds to keep one open minded pharmacist on duty at all times or not sell them at all.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• no. that is unprofessional if they do
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009