Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my ex keep me from moving with my child?

I have custody of my 3 yr old, but my exDH has her on weekends. Now I have an opportunity to move out of state (i live in a very rural empty area where the economy is even worse than the national average, and i have people who will help me out, but they are about 14 hours away).
I am willing to let him have her during summers, but of course she needs to stay in one place during the school year, since she will be starting preschool this fall.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (18)
  • What does it say in your divorce papers on you being able to relocate? I had them specifically worded in my divorce papers that I could relocate out of state, country, ect and we would just have to split the cost of visitation and then arrange a suitable, realistic visitation schedule that worked for us.

    Answer by Melindakc at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • it depends on the current order
    a friend of mine had an order that included that she could not move out of state w/o her x's ok, my agreement says i can do what ever i want when ever i want, i just have to provide the court and him with the new address with a 30 day notice, and honestly i allways email him the change but usually not a 30 notice, he couldnt care less....
    talk to him about it

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Yes and no. I believe that he can make you go back to court to get a decision on it.

    Why would you move your children away from their father anyway? That sounds like a terrible thing to do if he wants to be a part of their lives.

    Answer by casperskitty at 6:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • And I am sorry but preschool is not more important than her seeing her father.

    Answer by casperskitty at 6:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • I think it would be incredibly selfish if you moved away from your child's father. Think about it, What if it was the other way around, and he was moving away with your daughter. Wouldnt that just leave you heartbroken and breathless? Do whats right for your daughter.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • yes, if he takes you to court over it, he could stop you from moving. if you want to move you need to petition the courts rather then just move, ive seen moms lose custody from just moving rather then asking permission first. Be prepared to have beyond shadow of a doubt proof that you would be providing a BETTER living environment for your child. Not equal, BETTER. Before you even think about moving your going to need to have a job and a place to live lined up.

    Moving away from the child's father without his explicit permission is ALWAYS an uphill battle.

    Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • ok, leave out of state what can he do? If you have custody then go for it girl i would in a heart beat

    Answer by parisonmom at 7:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • You may have to go back to court to get permission. Check your divorce papers. It's unlikely the judge would stop you from going.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Pretty much what does the order say? And do you have joint physical, because she can spend half of the year with you and half with him. There is no "of course she needs to stay in one place during the school year" it depends on what the judge said.
    My husband got the judge to tell his ex not to move with the children. but she was doing every thing she could to keep him away from them. You and your ex might be more friendly

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • *and if you just leave out of state without a court order, you will get in trouble. Clear it with the courts first.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.