Is organized prayer before public school sports events acceptable or does it tread on the rights of others?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What does a prayer hurt? Get some ear plugs and stop your gripping.Full of nonsense to be sooo piddly over a prayer.I tell you there might be a time you would want someone to pray over your death bed if not then good luck to you.SOOOOO ridiculous.The trouble people cause for others over what our free country was founded on.
    ----------------
    I think the problem is that some families do not feel appreciated, included or nutured and that only one belief system is being presented. I think a lot of the people who want others to stomach a Christian prayer being prayed would have a fit if someone did a Pagan blessing, read something from the Upanishads or gave praise to some other diety for the players and the game. If we're not willing to listen to others, why expect them to be willing to listen to us?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• un-acceptable.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Unacceptable.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I agree, kristi. They have the right to say a prayer, but I have a right to not hear it, so whose rights are more important? I also think it's arrogant to assume that everyone at a public function is of the same religion or belief system.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Everyone has the right to worship in any manner they see fit. As long as students/public aren't forced to participate it's fine. Our band used to have prayer before football games before we went on the field to perform but it was led by another student, not the teacher or principal. It pains me to see that people in this country are not as tolerant of other people's religions and have to throw a fit if someone is praying or reading their Bible, Koran, etc. in public. This is America, and it's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
    tkobabe

Answer by tkobabe at 6:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• what is this world coming to people make such a big deal over praying to the one that gave us life
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• if no one is forced to participated in it and those who want to do and those who dont dont i think its great :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am fine with a prayer before a game, but you can bet it better be the same amount of fine for me to ritually bless the field before game too. Really it comes to time constraints, i am not offended but if they include one religion then they should be prepared to include ANY and all others. And realistically we just dont have the time.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Maybe the OP needs to be more specific because I took it as a prayer over the announcement speakers at the game. If the players want to do one in the locker rooms before hand fine. If the band wants to have one before marching out to the field fine. So long as no one is required to participate if they don't wish too.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I found it EXTREMELY disrespectful at my BIL"s Marine graduation because they acknowledged other religions saying they had Marines from varying backgrounds and listed many of them, and then closed with a Christian prayer.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009