To circumsize or not to circumsize?

I am having my first boy and me and my husband are torn on whether or not to have him circumsized. My husband is circumsized but his brother is not. I need some opinions please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• for hygenic reasons yes....i had a nursing instrucor whos hubby had skin cancer under the forskin and never would have known if she hadnt gotten him to get circumsized for other reasons.......typing that makes me think how weird it is that i know that
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Honestly its how you feel. Personally I know when there are not that area gets really dirty and can cause alot of infections. I used to baby sit a boy who wasn't and when he was older and potty trained he had a ton of problems. Plus the older they get the more it hurts to be removed if he chooses so.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• PLEASE don't go just on the opinions of the women here. You are going to get so many stories about how everybody here knows somebody who had to have it done as an adult due to infections, and you're also going to get those who say it's mutilation. It's not bad to get opinions, but please do some research as well before you decide. It's a decision that could have an effect on your son for life.

Personally, I'm against infant circ. You don't have to clean it any differently until the foreskin detaches and that could happen anywhere from 2 years to as late as puberty. Making sure not to retract it before it's ready is usually enough to prevent any possible infections. The rate is closer to 50-50 right now so the whole "locker-room" argument is really a non issue. He can get it done as an adult if he wants to. There are a couple of facts to get you started, look it up though and check it out for yourself.
    Anonymous

• I would do it, I know a few people that are not and they have constant problems
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my cousin was not and he always told my aunt why didn't you get this done when I was born.
    They get white stinkey stuff build up in there and it gets really red and infected and it hurts I would get it done when he is and infant that way he won't remember it but that's just my opinion.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• "Plus the older they get the more it hurts to be removed if he chooses so."

There's no way to prove if it hurts more as a baby in comparison to an adult or vise-versa. The only difference is "they won't remember it if they have it done as a baby." I'm inclined to think it hurts babies more because they have to tear the skin back in order to cut it first. As an adult you are absolutely sure to get proper pain meds during the procedure and after AND it's HIS choice.
    Anonymous

• I'm against it. Keep in mind that a lot of insurances are no longer paying for it because it's considered a cosmetic procedure. So if you're thinking about doing it be sure to check into that so you know how much you have to pay out of pocket if you do it.
    Anonymous

• It's your choice, but I will not be circumcising any of my boys.

My man is uncircumcised and has never had problems staying clean. I go down on him all the time with no issues.

The foreskin keeps him extra sensitive and sex is amazing.

As long as they're taught how to keep it clean and pull the foreskin back, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• "They get white stinkey stuff build up in there and it gets really red and infected and it hurts I would get it done when he is and infant that way he won't remember it but that's just my opinion."

That's called smegma, and it's natural, it's the body's way of cleaning itself, women get it too. Smegma does not cause infection. If it's properly taken care of, the chances of infection are very very slim.
    Anonymous

• As a baby if it's done, they don't remember it. All of my sons were circumcised and they didn't cry during the procedure, nor did they cry more afterward.

If they are older they are put under with general anesthesia. It's much more dangerous, the healing process is longer and there is a higher possibility of complications.
    Anonymous