What values do you want to develop more for yourself and your family?

I am not really talking about morals, but values.

I was thinking of some of the values that people in other religions have and some of them I think would benefit our family if I were to incorperate them. Again I am not talking about beliefs or morals, but just general values : ) so don't freak out. They could be values from other religions/beliefs or from your own, that you just don't see in your life right now.

It would be interesting to see which beliefs influenced your desires too.

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• RESPECT, tolerance, kindness, compassion, strenght for standing up for what they believe in but wisdom so that they do not tear others down in the process, appreciating the little things in life

All those things, plus familial closeness. I was inspired by a now-deceased, wonderful Catholic woman, who made her family so important, they took good care of her in old age and do the same for their father as well, and each other. She has a wonderful family, and they are really involved in community and church, and each other, I can only hope my family becomes that way.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• One thing I would like to cultivate are the values of: living simply and naturally (more than we do now). This is something I see in people who have more nature based and eastern beliefs.

And also a stronger love for the community. I am not sure what influenced this, because generally Christians value a strong community, but in my head I am picturing an old world style community of interdependence.

I think that in our modern world these things get lost on us and we have to consciously choose to cultivate them. I get away from living simply and naturally becuase our life is crazy busy and when I am tired I would rather veg out here and let the girls play or watch tv. I wish we would just unplug or go hiking more often. And the second one because I do sometimes feel isolated during the week. And our communities are just not very open and friendly, lol.

Anyways, thanks for indulging me.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would like ambition to be developed for me and my family. As a unit, I think we are lacking in this one thing. We do have an overabundance of love, honesty, compassion, peace, creativity, appreciation of the arts, appreciation of learning... but ambition isn't a part of who we are as a family.
    Anonymous

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Acceptance of others not like themselves, kindness, knowing when to listen to their heart and when to listen to their head, compassion, the love of art in all its many forms, creativity, the love of learning....never stop learning.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We've raised our sons to be respectful of others, compassionate, open-minded, to think for themselves, take an interest in the world and appreciate the simpler things in life. Well, maybe the last one hasn't sunk in yet, but they're still fairly young, lol. I'd like to cultivate more family time together but that can often be hard to accomplish, what with one son in college and the other just out of high school. I know we all have a strong, loving bond though and for that I'm very thankful.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• One thing that is important to me as a Buddhist is compassion. I try to teach my kids to behave compassionately to all creatures- I'm horrified by some of the cruelty to animals I see in some kids around me. We have a cottage near a public beach and I always see children catching frogs/minnows and other wildlife and treating them terribly- cramming frogs into bottles and ripping their skins, throwing them around, buying them in sand, etc. After a busy day in August there are tons of dead frogs around. I try very hard to teach my kids that animals also have feelings, that they deserve respect, and that we owe it to them to treat them with compassion. When we catch frogs or other animals, we observe them, sometimes take care of them for a week or so (watching caterpillars turn to butterflies or tadpoles to frogs) and then we return them to their home. Hopefully this will work- my ds loves animals so it seems to be.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Another thing I try to teach my kids is to be mindful of their actions- not to go off on out of control emotion, but to recognize emotions, calm down, and then choose behaviour wisely because all behaviour has consequences and not much good comes from going off on someone in anger. My ds and I have talked about this a lot since he has a tendancy to get angry, open his mouth, and have all his guts fall out. We've taught him some basic breathing meditations to use when he in angry until he is calm enough to discuss rationally. He is seven and will not use this techniques on his own or with a gentle reminder to 'breathe and then come back to me calmly.' It has made a world of difference for him in controlling himself verbally (this is a kid who got in huge trouble in kindergarten for telling the librarian that he was 'so mad he could blow up the school.' Clearly he needed some reflection/self control skills at the time!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• to be more accepting of others, to try new things/adventures, seek knowledge
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Dedication and objective thought.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009