When you had your first child did you get an epidural?

I did and the side effects with it too. My left side from the bottom down was numb/painful for almost 2 weeks. Did anyone else have wierd side effects like me?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did have it and it's been almost 4 years and that spot were they put the needle at hurts some days
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• no i had a spinal block becuase i had to have an emergency c section.....i just got the shakes...that was it...but my son was in the nicu and didnt take any pain meds after my c-section cause my mind wasnt on the pain....but my sister was in major pain like cried when she had to move....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Yes, and for awhile I still had pain where the needle went through. I hated the epidural! I never would have gotten it but after 32 hours of labor I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Anonymous

• Nope. I didn't with either of them because an epidural can prolong labor and make it harder because it numbs you and you can't feel anything when you're pushing. I had both of mine without any drugs and hard labor was between 5 and 10 minutes on both of them. I was in and out.
    tkobabe

Answer by tkobabe at 7:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• yea i did, but i dont have any side effects, but then again its only been 6 and a half weeks
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I had one with the first and liked it so much I had two more! (last one was 2 1/2 years ago)

I've had no trouble with any side effects afterward.

I felt enough while pushing...my labor with my first was 7 1/2 hours total, second was 2 1/2 hours total (total of 6 pushes), my third I was in labor but didn't know it at first so he was 15 hours total, but he was born 26 minutes after my water broke....with epidural.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I did have an epidural with my son. He is our only child so far-and when I was pregnant I knew it was something I always wanted as part of my birth plan. I thought, "why should i suffer all that pain when i don't have to?"
    I've heard horror stories about epidurals, but mine was near perfect. I barely felt it, it took effect in less than five minutes. I felt NOTHING....not even the slightest pressure from contractions or even during the crowning. I still knew when to push because they told me when-it really was that simple for me. I didn't have itching or paranoia like I had heard epidurals can cause. I had to have a urinary catheter...but that did not bother me at all.
    The epidural slowly wore off in the few hours after the birth. The only disadvantage I felt was the inability to make a BM for several days, which was hard. Other than that, I am totally grateful for my epidural. I will have one the next time
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 8:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I definitely had one. I tried so hard not to, but I'm a big baby when it comes to pain. Surprisingly I made it to 8 cm before I got it.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 8:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I was itchy!!!!! OMG. I also think it might've given me a fever....I couldn't get it low enough so they did an emergency c-section....
    Joy1Roberts

Answer by Joy1Roberts at 8:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i choose not to with my boys cuz i didnt want any long term effects im not in any pain and i wasnt as soon as they came out of me......the pain is not that bad my second baby took 16 hours to get here and i was on pit so it can be done
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2009