How can explain 'grown up time' to my almost 3 year old?

Jake doesn't get it when Mommy says it is grown up time, it means grown up time. One time I made a special meal for me and Jay. I fed the kids earlier and put them to bed right before Jay got home. As soon as we sat down to eat, Jake came in and sat down too. He kept tugging on Jay and asking him to come and play. I just need some time to be with Jay...alone. Any ideas?

Teen---Momma

Asked by Teen---Momma at 7:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• What if you have your husband put your kids to bed after he eats and read them a story so they can have some time with dad and then after they are in bed, you have a romantic dessert with your husband? Strawberries and melted chocolate?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Tell him it is your "Time Out" or that you need time to talk with daddy
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I say, "go watch tv for a little bit" to my 3 year old.
    I don't have to explain what I am doing to a child.
    Anonymous

• Can you get a sitter for a night?
    kathjenks

Answer by kathjenks at 9:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Dinner should be family time. There is so much evidence proving the benefits of family dinners. Perhaps Jake has read some of those studies.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You really shouldn't have to explain it to him. Just establish some rules and a schedule. I have a set bedtime for my girls, it they get up they know they will be sent right back to bed. It may take a few weeks of pure hell to get the pattern set, but once they adjust and realize that this is the new norm, you will very rarely have any problems having your grown up time.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009