Why is my baby suddenly refusing to breastfeed?

She is two and a half months old and is all of a sudden not wanting to nurse. I had introduced a bottle to her about a month ago to suppliment my breastmilk, since I was not producing enough and she was not gainning weight. I want to continue to breastfeed, but she screams whenever I try to get her to latch. What could be wrong and what should I do?

Carrielou13

Asked by Carrielou13 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html
    Nursing strikes happen for many reasons. They are almost always a temporary reaction to an external factor, although sometimes their cause is never determined. Here are some of the most common triggers of nursing strikes:
    * You've changed your deodorant, soap, perfume, lotion, etc. and you smell "different" to your baby.
    * You've been under stress (such as having extra company, traveling, moving, dealing with a family crisis).
    * Your baby or toddler has an illness or injury that makes nursing uncomfortable (an ear infection, a stuffy nose, thrush, a cut in the mouth).
    * Your baby has sore gums from teething.
    * You've recently changed your nursing patterns (started a new job, left the baby with a sitter more than usual, put off nursing because of being busy, etc.).
    * You reacted strongly when your baby bit you, and the baby was frightened.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Do you have a heavy let down sometimes that is hard on babies? How many bottles are you giving her? At any rate stop giving her bottles, she will eat. If your let down is hard try pumping off a little bit so it isn't so bad.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 7:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Definitely stop the bottles and work to increase your production.
    drink lots of water
    take brewers yeast tablets
    have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2009