Need Ideas to support my daughter who has PCOS and infertility problems!

My oldest daughter has been married for 5½ years now, has been diagnosed with PCOS and referred to a fertility specialist, which her insurance does not cover. She and her husband both want children desperately. She is very depressed, and I always seem to say the wrong things and make things worse!

If anyone knows of any new things that she can try I would love to hear it. Or, any ideas on ways I can support her during this depressing time in her life.

THANKS!

kmhmom999

Asked by kmhmom999 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• it took a year and a half for me to concieve, i have poly cystic overies. basically i ovulate 2 or 3 times a year. it took 2 years for my son there are 5 years between my kids. all i can say is stay positive. let her know you love her with or with out grandkids. my son was concieved without sex or a doctors help. it can be stressful but just be there and support her.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 7:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• 16thmoon: If you don't mind my asking, how was your son conceived "without sex or a doctor's help"??
    kmhmom999

Answer by kmhmom999 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• kmhmom999 LOL I was wondering that too!

I have done egg donation in the past and that is an option for her however probably not one that she would want to hear right now.

Has she looked into if her insurance company has add ons? For instance we have several types of insurance with my husbands company that we can pick from. Also if they are on her husbands insurance... does she work and have insurance available that might be better?

I would also search the internet for self pay insurances that would cover the cost. She'd still be paying money but a lot less.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know you want to help, but the best thing you can do for her is just listen. You can ask if there is anything you can do to help her, but don't offer advice unless she asks. Also don't start telling her about the latest and greatest fertility treatments - using donor eggs can set you back $20,000 or more for just one try. Also, more extreme things like using donor eggs can be quite a shock when you are just getting your feet wet with fertility treatments (I completely lost it when my doctor first mentioned it to me). PCOS might not require extreme fertility treatments, but a good specialist will be able to let her know what options are most likely to work for her and how much they might cost. If you know the cost is keeping her from going to the specialist for a consultation and you can afford it, it would be ok to offer to pay for the consultation. It will help her to know what she is realistically looking at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My stepsister has the same thing and she got onto Clomid and got pregnant within a month-now I am thinking about trying it?!
    Anonymous