My 3 yr old loves to challenge me!

I need some better discipline tips, i stick him in the corner and hes good for 15 mintues then gets into something else, i swear hes spent half of his life in the corner, i do yell a lot until my throat is sore, and i do a little light spanking on occasion. He knows hes in trouble too he will run away and give me a sly smile, and hes teaching his little brother the same tricks, i need help!

d3vilbunny

Asked by d3vilbunny at 7:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sounds like my 5 year old. If I find a way to handle her believe me I will let you in on it. If you get any good ideas please let me in on them. Because I am going to pull my hair out soon. What gets me is outside of the house she is an angel. She never talks back or does anything wrong. As soon as ahe walks in this house my angel grows horns and a tail and becomes my demon. WTH????
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• sounds like my daughter she spend most of her days in her room, i have to put up the baby gate so she stays in her room. try a time out chair ? that worked for about a week, you might have better luck.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 8:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Redirection and Choices. Sending a child in to time out for doing something doesn't teach them how to make better choices - it teaches them to do what they want until YOU make them stop. Redirecting a child to appropriate activities and giving them choices helps to teach them what they CAN do, not by stopping the behavior but by giving them alternatives and control. Then talking to them about why one is a bad choice and the other is a good choice, you can eventually get to a point where you just need to remind them to make good choices and they can re-direct themselves. Time outs don't teach children how to make better choices and are often over-used when other forms of discipline would produce a better outcome, even if they are more labor intensive in the beginning. So rather than just stopping the behavior and putting them in time out, give them alternative choices for what they CAN do, and let them have some control.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• we have a chore chart. it has only a few chores, the other things are keep your hands to yourself, use your manners, be kind to others. she is rewarded with a trip to the petting zoo if she gets 35 or more happy faces in a week, she can get up to 49 in a week. daughter is doing really well with this system, she is 4 1/2 now and it is still working really well. i rarely have to spank (haven't had to in months) and time outs are non-existant. if she does something bad and doesn't stop when she is told, she loses a happy face. i'm really happy with this system, i hope you find something that works for you.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2009