Help with childrens diet!!

My daughter is 3 1/2 and very active. Problem is she is still chubby! In my opinion, she eats very healthy (at home), fruits, veggies, grilled meats, lots of water and very limited junk! She is still a chunk though! It seems whenever we go somewhere, someone wants to give her snacks that "her mother doesn't give her". Her brother is the same way, but he is as trim as can be! What's going on ?? Any suggestions?? It's beginning to worry me! I dread our next doctor visit! HELP!!

BEMomma

Asked by BEMomma at 8:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Unless the doctor is concerned about her weight, you have no reason to put her on a diet, and if you know (which you obviously do as her mother) that she eats healthy, then you definitely have no reason to put her on a diet.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would be extremely hesitant to put her on a diet yet because it may make her thinner now but it could also lead to a life long eating disorder.

Children grow quickly and often in spurts, I would just let her be. If you are feeding her well and she is active don't be concerned about occasional snacks at other people's homes.
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 8:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my son was a chunk then too but he is almost 6 now and supper slim
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If the doctor's not concerned then I wouldn't be either. Do you know where she's at on the height/weight charts? If you're feeding her healthy and she's not overeating at meals then you're doing what you can. Putting her on a diet not recommended by the doctor may deprive her of nutrients that she needs to grow.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Unless your doctor is concerned with her BMI, I would no worry.

Make sure that the whole family is eating 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies, in at least 3 different colors; 6 servings of whole grains; and 2 servings of legumes every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Kids go through skinny and chunky phases. It's baby fat. If you are feeding her a healthy diet of good foods I wouldn't worry about it, and never let her hear your comments. You will give her a terrible complex.
    Anonymous