When filing for unemployment......

How long after your laid off from your job do you have to collect? I am hearing rumors that I will be laid off the day before I leave for a 9 day family vacation! Can I file when i return? I would just do it online but i think you have to go into the offices to get your michigan works card stamped. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can sign up the day that your layoff begins. Do it online the day before you leave, and don't forget to fill out your online resume with them or it can hold up your claim. It will give you a MARVIN call in date, and you had better keep it or else you have to wait until the Friday after your assigned call in time to make the call. When you do call in and answer the questions, make sure that MARVIN says goodbye before you disconnect. My hubby's been laid off twice this year and he's never had to go IN to the unemployment office.
    I don't believe they issue checks anymore. We used the direct deposit of the $$ to our bank. Some friends used the debit card route and had additional fees tacked on. Once you're approved and you've made your call in, you can expect to see the $$ in your bank acct within 2 - 3 days.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• idk about MI, but here in PA you have a waiting week, then you can sign up. It used to be approx 6 months (I forget the weeks), but there is an extension now. I'm hearing different things about how long the extension is. At first it was 13 weeks, then I heard 24 weeks..... idk. DH is nearing the end of his 6 months of being laid off and just finishing up school. Will need to apply for an extension soon if he doesn't find work. We are not required to get anything stamped here or prove where he applied. He mostly applies for jobs online, so I don't know how he would go about that.
    Anonymous

• You can sign up the day you're laid off, in CA. We have a one week waiting period just to collect, not to sign up.

You CAN file when you return, but if your state makes you wait a week after filing before you collect, that may cause difficulties.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• In Illinois you can file online and call in your report every two weeks

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009