When is the right age to turn off the baby moniter? One of my girls gets up crying/screaming for no reason EVERY night!

Our two girls share a room-Laynie is 3 and sleeps in a big girl bed (twin with safety rail) and Izzie's 12 months and in a crib.

LaynieBugLuv

Asked by LaynieBugLuv at 8:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• i took the baby monitor out of my sons room (he's 15 months old) when he turned one, but only because we moved to a new home with thin walls and if he wakes up or cries he is easily heard.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Well I never had a monitor with my kids, they were around but our house was small and I could hear them no matter where I was. But I wouldn't think that there is any real "correct" age. Its just when you feel comfortable would be my guess.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I don't think there is a correct age at all. My son is 4 and I keep the monitor in his room because he sleeps downstairs and I'm upstairs (when he's not in my room) and when he talks, he doesn't have to yell. Additionally, I would just remember that "no reason" to you does not mean that your daughter does not think she has a valid reason to wake up screaming and/or crying every night. IMO, you should try to understand her behavior from HER perspective before you decide to turn off the monitor.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• at around one we took it out. but i could hear him if he woke up. around that age, he was plenty loud enough. i would say that if you can hear them wake up, you don't need it anymore, but if they are across the house or something, maybe you should keep it. use your best judgment. but if you do decide to quit using it, try it at naptime first, so that you can gauge how far her cries carry.
    Rachel_May

Answer by Rachel_May at 9:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We stopped using one when our middle daughter was 6 months old. She shared a room with her 19mo old brother and my 2 1/2yo had a room across the hall. The monitor actually broke and we didn't feel a need to buy a new one.
    We never had one with our youngest. She slept in our room until she was 16 months because there was no where else to put her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009