Is Children's Benadryl safe?

I have an 11 month old and a 4 year old, and when they have really runny noses I give them children's benadryl to try and dry them up. I don't do it very often, except my 11 month old seems to be getting a lot of ear infections and he's not sleeping at all! Do you Mama's think children's benadryl is safe to do every so often or do you think I should throw it out of my medicine cabinet? Thanks!

MauiMama87

Asked by MauiMama87 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not for use with your baby; they actually pulled children's meds off the shelf because of the risk of overdose. And the active ingredient is the same stuff that's in sleep medicines.

If your child is having constant ear infections, the cause of the infections needs to be dealt with by your doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Don't give it to your baby. It's okay to use on your 4 yo, but not baby. Use tylenol for the ear infection pain and discuss the issue with you pedi.
    MamaJAG

Answer by MamaJAG at 8:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• benadryl is fine to use for a child that young, just not in a full dose or all the time. my childs allergist at CHOP actually told us to start giving it to our son at 6 months old and 12lbs. 1/4 tsp. to help when his skin would break out from minor food irritations. obviously, you would not give an 12lb. baby the same dose as a 4 year old child. i would go to the pediatrician for ear infections though and get an antibiotic.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You should really let the cold run it's course and not try to suppress it.That can make them more regular and worse. Their immune systems need to develop and if she is getting sick regularly that is a perfect indication that her immune system is not very strong.

Try something more natural rather than pumping their little bodies with that crap
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• my doc told me it was ok to give my 10mo old 1/4 of a tablespoon for her nose! and she also said you could give it to your little one every night as long as you dont exceed the dosage! good luck stoppin up that nose
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Benadryl is diphenhydramine, used for allergies. If your child has a cold and runny nose caused by an infection (viral or bacterial), the Benadryl is a waste, and unnesessary chemicals your childs body has to cycle out.
    KadynsMommy806

Answer by KadynsMommy806 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Benadryl is safe as long as you use the proper dosage and are not using it simply to get the child to sleep/relax. Call your pharmacist/doctor for proper dosage. However, I would have your little ones checked out if you suspect they have chronic allergies. There are other, much safer, medication that they can be placed on that does not have similiar side effects as benadryl. Who would want to go about life with everything so muddled from medications? If you find yourself having to administer the benadryl weekly, I think it is time to have a chit-chat with the doctor. I reserve mine for severe allergies.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My doctor okay'd 1/4 teaspoon for my 9 mo. old with a bad cold. It did help dry her up and help her breath at night. Also try putting the crib mattress on an angle (by putting a pillow UNDER the mattress) and a warm bath in a steamy bathroom with Johnson's vapor bath right before bed. ***It will dehydrate your baby though, so make sure you offer more liquids when you're giving it to her.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2009