Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take my one year old to the ER or wait until tomarrow to call the doctor?

My DD has a skin boil, and I truely thought it was just a pimple on her thigh. Until my aunt said something today because my niece had them and then I did some research and realized thats what it was. After reading online that when a fever is associated, they should seek medical attention. Now I am worried and dont know if I should take her now to the ER or wait until tomarrow. She had a fever last night but i thought it was just due to teething..... Someone help?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • OP HERE---- UPDATE---- after some responses, i decided to call her pedi and she advised me to take her to the ER, they cut open the boil to release the infection and are testing for MRSA. Her pedi said because she had a fever she didnt want me to wait. Thanks guys
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • Call the doctor on call and ask. I would take her now to an urgent care clinic, but call and see if you can get a doctor's advice.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 8:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • When in doubt, take them to the doctor and let them decide if it is an emergency or not. You'll both feel better instead of waiting it out the night and worrying.
    apollo9357

    Answer by apollo9357 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Unless she starts running another fever, you should wait to take her to her regular doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • She has a fever now
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Call the doctor on call for your office and ask their opinion.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • if she is in any pain i would go right now. i had a boil once that ended up being a staph infection. it was very painful, i wouldnt want a child to suffer with something like that any longer than nessesary. if she is not in pain i would wait. your personal dr is always more concened than an er dr.
    bettylou420

    Answer by bettylou420 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • ooo... I agree, when in doubt...
    MarchMarie

    Answer by MarchMarie at 9:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • If it were my child, i would call the DR. if its after hours i would take her to the ER.... it might be nothing, or it could be something really bad.
    Bebe510

    Answer by Bebe510 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • most peds dont mind calls for things like that whenever I am not sure my I call the hosp and they patch me thru to my sons ped he prefers his patients to call him
    aidensmom570

    Answer by aidensmom570 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN