Does foster care take a girl's baby away if she is also in foster care?

This question occurred to me while reading another post on here. If a girl is in foster care, and gets pregnant, does foster care immediately take her baby away? Is she forced to put her baby in foster care? How does that work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Adoption

• it depends on the situation...i think they try to let her keep her child
    Anonymous

• They don't usually take the baby unless there is a great concern for their safety. Sometimes foster parents help mentor the mother while she is in their care.
    apollo9357

Answer by apollo9357 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i believe they arer in foster care then too....
    i knew a girl in fla who had her baby while she was in foster care and her baby was auto in foster care..but they were able to stay placed in the same house
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No, my sister had a girl in foster care with her who got pregnant and she kept the baby. The baby isn't technically in foster care.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I know of a family (not personally) that took in a pregnant foster child. Then the baby went into care and they kept the baby and the mother was moved to another home.
    Nothing right about that situation!!
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i think it fully depends on the situation. I was in fostercare in Ohio while I was pregnant. I was scared that my child would get taken away, but they said that as long as I took care of him, they wouldnt. Like if I went with the fostercare family's rules, if I fed/bathed my son, etc. I knew that I was capable of doing that so it didnt worry me, but there was a story about how a girl left the home during the night (just to party), leaving the baby at the foster house. When she came back, the child was taken away because she wasnt being responsible and left the baby, not notifying anyone that she was leaving (she wouldnt have been allowed to leave though)
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 10:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No, when a foster child has a baby, the baby stays with the mother & HER foster family. The baby is considered foster care on a "technicality", in that the teen mom is foster care, therefore automatically the baby is-although the state is not the conservator for the baby, the mother is. It's complicated. LOL! The teen mom is mentored by her foster parents, during/after pregnancy, but she COULD lose custody of the baby if she was neglectful or abusive of the baby. She could also voluntarily relinquish. And believe it or not, she could have chosen to abort the baby. The foster parents aren't allowed to "influence" her decisions on abortion, parenting, or relinquishing. She has the right to decide all of these things. She would be in counseling (whether or not she participates is up to her.)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No, they don't take your baby away. The baby enters foster care too and whent the mom gets out of foster care, so does the baby as long as she is being a good mom.
    mommytoseven

Answer by mommytoseven at 9:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It depends on the state. Foster care is state regulated. Also, it depends on the level of the foster care child. If she's a level 1-3, then she will probably be allowed to keep the baby. If she's a level 4-6, she may be deemed a danger to her baby, and thus her baby would be put in foster care but she would be allowed visitation.

I'm a former CPS case worker for the state of Texas.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Here in our state, the child will remain in the home with the foster mother... both will be moved if that family is not able to take the infant too, the mother and child will be together, the hope is that the foster parents can help the mother learn to care for the child and herself, this is a great way for the young mom to learn if she can handle the newborn or she may wish to place the child up for adoption.... but keep in mind that both parents of the newborn will have to give up the child... sometimes if the mom is not able to care for the child, they will look at the father, however if the mother is in foster care she would have to be under 18 and there could be issues with age and the fathers age... bottom line is here we keep the parent and child together :-)
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 5:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009