Dating, and unsure what to say

So, I've been dating casually, there's been a few different guys. They all know I'm mom up front, but that right now I'm merely interested in a social life.

But every time, by only a 2nd or 3rd date, comes the inevitable question. "So what happened with the babies daddy"

I really hate that question. Ruins my good mood. He was abusive, it's not a something I care to reminisce over. And it still makes me anxious when someone keeps probing and wanting more details.

I try to brush it off and say we just wanted different things. Some let it go at that, others continue to push for details. If things get serious with a guy and he wants to know, I'll open up to the right person, but I don't feel like that I need to put out that info for the world.

What can I say to let them gracefully know that chapter of my life is over and I'd care not to talk about it without sounding like a scorned bitter ex

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I would just say something like "things just didn't work out and I'd really rather not go into it and ruin what a nice time we're having"
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Can't you just tell them straight out, he was abusive but I'd rather not talk about it. If they can't understand that or get pushy, then that's not someone you need in your life. If things work out with one of them, then you should tell them more details if/when you're ready. But that's just what I would do. Just my opinion. Good luck!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• it's a fair question though especially bc of the abusive relationship. Men have a right to know what to expect if your x shows up and tries to harm you or the men you see.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• maybe something like, " He wasn't a very nice guy, and my child && I are just better off without him." && then quickly change the subject. If they continue to ask questions, just say, "Maybe after a few more dates I'll give you a few more details."
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009