Why do cabinets not have handles?

I like watching shows like House Hunters and whenever they show American homes they kitchen and bathroom cabinets don't have handles or knobs, why is that? Here in Canada you always have them.

Noworktodo

Asked by Noworktodo at 8:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• That's a good question. I guess cabinets without handles have a cleaner, sleeker look to them. The cabinets in my house don't have handles, but lots of other places do :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I think sometimes they're just scrimping on the money. Either that or they get wild with their towels in the bathroom that they always get hooked on them and decided to take them out. I have knobs in mine.
    apollo9357

Answer by apollo9357 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• We redid the kitchen two years ago and chose good-sized handles. I didn't want to be hitting the cabinet doors every time I opened them. But there are drawers and cabinets that have indentations that the fingers go into to open them. That would solve the hitting the door problem (our old cabinets had wear marks where my fingers hit the door when I grabbed the handles) and it would look, as caitxrawks said, sleeker.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My cabinets all have knobs (we live in Chicago)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• All of our cabinets have handles. We live in SC and our home was built in 1975.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2009