When a Guy Friend tells you he Loves You, Can you still Consider him a Friend?

I had this guy friend tell me on the phone the other day that he loves me and he appreciates me for my soul and my goodness. Granted, he's always been an extremely liberal sensitive hippie, but he's still a man. He hasn't dated anyone in quite awhile and he also told me he thought me and my fiance need couples counselling. I'm seriously thinking he's trying the wedge manuever. Does it sound like it to you? How do I give him another chance as a friend when I have these doubts?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you are over reacting. Many hippy dudes love without it being more than it is. If he says you need counseling I'd take that as him trying to guide you to get help to build a better foundation for your relationship with fiancee not with him. I see no wedge. Chill and enjoy his friendship unless you don't like the man.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Maybe by "loves you" he means he cares about you? Maybe it's not romantic love? Perhaps you should try to pin down what he meant and then make a decision about whether to continue the friendship. If he has fallen in love with you, and you are in love with your fiance, then you should put distance between your friend and yourself, or examine your feelings very carefully. Hard as it is, it wouldn't be right to continue the friendship if he is in love with you, since it would be leading him on, getting his hopes up, better to let him down so he can move on.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2009