Son is having Tonsils and Adenoids out. Any book suggestions to help explain?

My five year old son is going to have surgery and I've been trying to find a book or something to help explain it. I remember having mine out and how scary it was, but I was hoping to prepare him a little for it. Any suggestions?

apollo9357

Asked by apollo9357 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Our hospitals had a little pre-operation tour about a week before the surgery, getting the child acquainted with the facility and the people and explaining what would happen, showing them the masks, letting them try on the hair cover and telling them exactly what to expect. If you can possibly arrange this it would maybe be more understandable than looking at pictures in a book. If not, then see what your library has? Sorry I don't have any book recommendations (ours were too long ago.) Best of luck to your little one.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Take him to the hospital before and they will do an excellent job of explaining it. Have lots of ice cream and popsicles. When my son had his out, he wanted nothing cold, it had to be room temp.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2009