Do you feel comfortable with other people changing your child's diaper?

My MIL always changes his diaper and I never liked that. Then my 9 year old SIL always fought over it because she wanted to. Now every time I hear my son needs a diaper change I always yell, "Oh I'LL CHANGE IT!" even if they already have the stuff out.

Am I just a weirdo or does anyone else feel this way?

I think it is creepy when people want to change my child's diaper. Plus that is the only time I get to see him when they visit. Only for diapers and nursing. Ever other time they have him and will only hand him to me when he is screaming for food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont mind the diaper changing so much but I get ticked when I am wih family for a day and ppl act like I cant even see my own baby the entire time. Nobody lets me make a decision on anything. I cannot stand visiters since having my son. I wish ppl would go have their own children sometimes. It sounds mean but I am so hormonal and had the baby blues and I am working on getting back to normal. My neighbors dont even call someimes they just stop in. I cant stand it!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would have no issue with it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. There must be a reason you are not comfortable with it. Is she maybe not cleaning him properly? Do she not do things the way you would prefer? Does it make you uncomfortable that she wants to do something you view as a chore and you can't see why she would want to? Have you ever gotten any indication that your child does not like it when she changes his diaper?
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 9:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Nope im more than happy to let someone else change a stinky diaper once in awhile lol
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 9:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Nope! I have no problem with it! I love getting a break from it.
    Anonymous

• i usually insist on changing my sons diaper. i just think, "does anyone else really wanna smell this kids butt?" and i swear, anytime my son is at my mil's house and has a poopy diaper, she never really gets his butt hole clean. there is always a ring of poop around it when i pick him up from there, if he has had a poopy diaper that day. i just cringe when i find that, like "damn lady, my kid doesnt want an itchy butthole!" and seriously, put the kids legs up over his head and wipe til you cant wipe anymore! lol. i finally said something to SO last night about it. i think he was offended.
    the one thing that does freak me out like crazy is if im changing my son's diaper and someone walks over to talk to me. UMMM, i went away to do it for a reason...get away my poor kids doodle.
    Anonymous

• I understand where youre coming from.. There were a couple times in the beginning when family members changed my son and they didnt realize all the cracks and creases that can get dirty when they poop.. Or they put the diaper on wrong..
    &I just had to re-do it.
    Its nice to have a helping hand, but every Mom is different and protective in their own ways, so if you don't feel comfortable with it, no one can judge that!
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i don't really feel comfortable with it because baby is not comfortable either. And they don't do it right. Butt still dirty, Nappy too loose! AHHHHHHHH then clothes get wet.

She doesn't mind Daddy but cries if anyone else tries or gets to close. It's sweet really, she is an absolute Mommy's Girl. Can't say I mind much! Love the time I spend with her
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• If I know the person and trust the person...by all means, change away. My mom always worries that she does not do it good enough for my standards (I have OCD) and always wants me to check it. I tell her to knock it off, she raised 3 kids, I think I trust her enough to change my daughters diaper.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am the same way unless it is my mom, or selective family/close friends. I think there is only three other person I was ever comfortable changing my son's diapers. The standards got looser as my son got older, though. My best friend and I both have kids the same age, so we change the kids diaper when they need it. Otherwise, my son only allows me, his dad, and grandparents close enough for a diaper change these days... it's nice to get a break sometimes! And once the solids enter.. whew, the diapers reek 100 times more than they ever have! (My son's 13 months old now. )
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Lol, I cant stand when my hubby doesnt. He just does it.....wrong. The flaps are never on right (IMO of course). The pedi always lets me put my daughters diaper back on because she knows how moms can get about diapers.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2009