Pacifier?

So my 15 month old still takes his pacifier at night time and nap time. I would like to break him from it but I refuse to let him scream himself to sleep. And I don't want to start another habit like rocking him that I will just have to eventually break.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• pick one....take it and let him scream or let him keep it cuz honestly you cant have both
    sorry
    i took my sons when he was baout 18 months, he screamed for about a week (he was a MAJOR pacie baby) but then it was over and i was glad i did it and dont have a 5 yr old walking around with a pacie

good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Does he have a lovey? A favorite stuffed animal or blanket? That may help.

But unless you are willing to wait until he is old enough to understand and help in the "bye bye binkie" process, you may very well have to endure some tantrums.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I felt the same way... but when my dd turned 18 mos I took it, told her no more and she was fine after the second day! I took it mostly because her little friend (who was 2) had one and her teeth were crooked so I wanted to stop it before my dd hit that point. It alot easier if there is only one big change instead dealing with that and new schedule or whatever. Also, my dd was taking it only for bedtime and nap time until about 16-17 mos where she had to have it all the time!
    You could try to just take it away for his naps and see how he does... night time is the hardest but I gave my dd a stuffed animal instead... or a new toy (she took a stuffed dog and a dolly and her blanky to start). Introduce the new toy a couple days before you take that binky and let him get used to that. GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• "pick one....take it and let him scream or let him keep it cuz honestly you cant have both
    sorry
    i took my sons when he was baout 18 months, he screamed for about a week (he was a MAJOR pacie baby) but then it was over and i was glad i did it and dont have a 5 yr old walking around with a pacie"

What a GOOD mommy to allow your child to scream for a week...
    Anonymous

• Is there a particular reason why you feel the need to take the binkie from him now? Why not wait until he's ready to wean himself? The ADA says binkies DO NOT cause dental problems in children under 4 years of age, especially if the child is only using it for short periods throughout the day. He's only a baby once...don't make the mistake of "forcefully weaning" your child from what others perceive as a "bad habit". Put your CHILD'S needs above your own needs and above the opinions of others.
    Anonymous

• anon 1042
    i AM a good m ommy thank you very much......
    my son was having issues with chrionic ear infections and I was taking out everything they thought might be the prob...which included a binkie that gets dropped and put back in his mouth
    And screaming for a week over a binkie is nothing compared to having a 2 or 3 yr old still walking around with one
    do you give your baby everything they want all the time to avoid tantrums?!?!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009