• In the Spotlight:

Mac 'n cheese: From scratch or from a box?

I make mine from scratch. It's not quite as fast, but it tastes great! I like to bake it with bread crumbs (mmmm!). So how do you like it? From the box or from scratch?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 9:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I like them both, but homemade is always better.....imo. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I prefer it made from scratch. If we're having it for dinner, it's homemade. I don't like breadcrumbs on top though. I buy the Kraft boxed stuff for the kids to have for lunch sometimes. They love it, even if I don't.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Annies organic for boxed, but we all prefer home cooked...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• never made it from scratch.... i only make mac n cheese if I have nothing else to make and I only have a few minutes to do it. I personally am not a fan of it.... how do you make it from scratch???? With breadcrumbs it sounds good! And I've always found stuff from scratch tastes a LOT better than boxed!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I like it from a box. My dd, however, isn't too crazy about pasta at all!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• depends on how much time i have and what i have on hand i prefer from scratch but sometimes use that valvetta shells and cheese i will not use that kraft mac and cheese with that nasty powder
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• rkoloms I agree that Annies is the best version from a box. They have some interesting flavors too.

07lilmama, You make it from scratch by making a simple cream sauce, add cheese and pour over 1lb of pasta. Then If you want to you can put it in the oven to bake. If you bake it the result is more like a casserole. Sometimes I put ham and peas in it to make it more like a real meal. Then I don't mind serving it to my son as his lunch or dinner because it has a meat and veggie in it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• sometimes I make it from the box, but will add cheese slices, sometimes sour cream, bake and it turns out so crispy and yummy =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Both! And I would love your recipe for baking with bread crumbs! That sounds yummy too.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I personally can't stand the fatty, greasy taste from the scratch kind. We only eat Annies from a box. Posting anon so the 'homeade nazis' don't bombard my page again
    Anonymous