Okay, this is irritating me!

The family across the street from us have older children (in HS and older), but they have a neice who comes to visit sometimes. Her dad is with her (apparently visiting his B/S IL) but she plays with my DD. They are about the same age. However, its almost like they expect my DD to entertain this girl for the hours she's there. I know they are friends and they get along and all, but honestly, its 9:30 pm here and dark. Its time for my DD to come in (actually past time and if I weren't on my porch watching them, she wouldn't be there) but they do nothing with this child while she's there! She comes over here to pee! Its kind of cold out tonight for shorts and that's what she's wearing with flip-flops. My DD is in jeans and tennis shoes with a light jacket, because its more like fall right now. But am I wrong to be irritated? Mind you I don't even know them! But I feel sorry for this bored little girl. (continuted..)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just stand your ground mom. Time to come inside is time to come inside. No is an easy word to say - but a hard one to communicate sometimes. You're not wrong for feeling put-out. You are a great sport and a very good neighbor.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Mind you why can't see use their restroom? I understand if its in use (some ppl only have one) but all the time? They never seem to look to see what she's doing, etc. And now when I want my DD to come in, they are like, Can she play another half hour? is what I get. Uh, no, she needs to come in, eat, get a bath, etc. I am not a babysitter. Both girls are about 10, btw.
    Anonymous

• Next time she comes over ask your daughter..and other kids if there are any..hey guys lets go do something..hop in the car and take off. Go to a park, the movies, a drive, ice cream, people watch at the mall. Just stay gone for a while. Your kid(s) will love the time with you and you don't wind up sitting. When you come home if they beat feet up to the door. "I'm sorry No, we've had a very busy day, good night" close door.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• GrnEyedGrandma, I would love to, but I am not a licensed driver! She even came to the fireworks with us, (we live two blocks from the park where they were going off) and I didn't know she was with us until we got to the park! I was like "Does your dad know your with us?" and she was like "yeah" and they I had to buy a soda and popcorn for her as well as my kids because I couldn't leave her out! I am not like that. They never asked if it was okay with me. I had such a big group of adults and kids, that one more was a problem.
    Anonymous