How can I help my 3 year old from waking up so early!

I am frustrated. My daughter is very sensitive to being overtired which leads to early waking and short napping. How can I move her day forward so that bedtime is later?
Right now:
Wake up 5.30
Nap 12-12.30 (1-1.5 hour) sometimes sleep 30-45 min too!!!
Bedtime 7.30

Once, I put her to bed at 6 because she was very tired and she woke up at 4! So her nap was at 10. and then gave her a mininap...
Can't be this complicated....

winter08

Asked by winter08 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids have not napped since they were 18 months old. It was crazy that they stopped napping then. They go to bed at 7 and wake up at 7.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• stop putting her to bed at 7:30. some 3 year olds are past taking naps. see how she goes without one. 10 hours of sleep is alot, but if she needs that much at night, put her down at like 9-9:30 and she will sleep later in the day.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• she is too young to tell time, so all she really knows is bedtime is when you say it is...do an extra activity one night to keep her up. start from there.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• One thing that gets my kids to stay awake if they're tired, is a bath. It's always refreshing and fun and gets them to kind of forget they're tired.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• No matter what anyone says to try, i have tried it!!!!!

My son is 6 years old and still wakes before 6. I feel like I have slept late if I make it to 6:30.

I spent his whole first 4 or 5 years of life trying to "fix" his sleep and never could....I give up....its just him....oh well...

I make up for it by just trying to get in bed a bit earlier....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My daughter is sensitive to being overtired too.
    Drop the nap? Sure fire way to get her up at 4am every morning.
    Keep her up later? Same thing.

Start by putting something in her room on a timer. I use a fish tank light but any light will do. Have it come on at the time she is getting up now. Let her know that she must stay in bed until the light comes on (the fish wake in our house). After a few days, change the timer so it's 15 minutes later than that. Keep going until you get her waking up where you want it.
    At the same time, figure out what her nap time and bedtimes should be if she was getting up when you want her too. Start putting her down for her nap and bedtime at that time.
    Until she adjusts (because you know how tired she will be!) - give her teething tablets 1/2 hour before bedtime to help her calm down It's like a cup of chamomile tea. Consider giving her motrin too to ease the exhaustion aches.
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• bedtime at 7:30...really? That's why she's getting up so early! My girls are 2 and 4. Bedtime is 9:30. They get up around 8:00-8:30. Naptime is at 1:00, and they usually sleep about 2 hours.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'd cut the nap. mine all qut napping at 18ishmonths (not for lack of my trying to keep them napping either)

how active is she?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Bedtime is 7pm here during the school year for all my kids. My 3yo is an early bird. I've just accepted it. No matter when she goes to bed (7pm during the school year or 10pm in the summer) she still gets up by 6am every morning. The days she goes to bed later she is even worse during the day. All she does is fight with everyone and annoy the hell out of me. I decided she's going to 8pm bedtime for the rest of the summer no matter what her older siblings are doing because she needs sleep. And she rarely naps. I tried for 3 hours to get her to take a nap yesterday and she was exhausted.
    I really don't care when she gets up as long as she doesn't wake me up. All of my kids have been getting up early since they were 2 and turning the TV on while I slept in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009