lamaze classes??

Should I take them or not?? I don't want ANY drugs at all so does this help cope with out them?? help I am soooo confused!!

VanessaCalhoun

Asked by VanessaCalhoun at 10:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes I think you should take them ESPECIALLY if you don't want any drugs. I took them and they taught me a lot of different ways to cope with pain and get through labor if you choose the no-drug route. There is nothing wrong with being prepared and you might learn something valuable you didn't know before that might turn out to be a life-saver during labor and delivery!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Actually, the Bradley method did far better for me than Lamaze. If you were in choir or band in high school, it is the same type breathing...deep diaphragmic breaths. Lamaze is short breaths, and they made me light-headed and did not help, but hindered labor. If you breathe deep, the diaphragm pushes gently on the top of the uterus (fundus) and helps to push the baby out!! Try to find someone in your area who can help teach this method to you.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I am going to have an epi, and I took it. Take every class you can! Giving birth is no small feat. It may be the most natural thing in the world, but that doen't mean it's easy. Get all the back-up and advice you can. If you are going natural, support is super important. That is one class you will find lots of support and other mothers with your mindset. Good luck! Mom's go natural all the time, so obviously it can be done.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• wow...there were so many errors in that. Sorry, I'm a little sleepy.....can't type when I'm sleepy.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i didn't take any classes and didn't have an epi.
    support is super important. see if there's a volunteer doula at your hospital. they are a lot better than the classes. they will be w/ you at the birth and help you out in any way you need. if there's not a volunteer doula, you can hire one too.
    i suggest you read "spiritual midwifery" and "ina may's guide to childbirth" both by ina may gaskin.
    best way to avoid getting an epi: only do intermitten monitoring (only for 10 min every 2-3 hours), no cervical checks (those can close you up, and if you're not progressing the way you think you are, it could be disappointing), don't just lay there (move around, walk, use LOTS of diff positions like squatting, sitting on a birth ball, hanging on someone, etc.) and sneak in some drinks and food for you (you need all the energy you can get). also, don't fight your body. if your body is telling you to change positions, do so.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• also, there are many methods out there to help you stay focused. look into the bradley method and hypnobirthing.
    Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method By Marie Mongan
    Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009