mulitiple questions about infants

1st question is i know a girl who has a 5 week old dd and she is already putting ceral in her bottle is that safe? personal i wouldnt be doing it.

2nd the 5 month old baby i care for has been eating mixed veggies and fruit since 2.5 months at his moms she under the impression the faster she introduces things the faster he'll grow...im thinking it isnt health for him what u all think?

3rd the mom of the 5 week baby girl has a soon to be 3 yr old who isnt talking and is very hyper could this be some kind of syndrom?

4th and final question the baby i take care of mom is14 weeks preg and she claims with luke the baby i care for she got drunk everynite and he shows no signs of fas she believe its alright to get drunk everynite with this one to b/c it supposable didnt effect luke as of right now can i turn her in to cys?

rainmommy

Asked by rainmommy at 10:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. No, it's not safe unless a doctor has told her too. It doesn't help them sleep longer or through the night. It just makes them full for longer...which might not be a good thing.
    2. Having the baby eat the veggies and such will not make him grow. All a childs nutrition still comes from breastmilk or formula.
    3. He might have some speech problems or even a hearing problem which would delay his speech. You cant do anything about the hyperness until hes old enough to be cheched for ADD/ADHD.
    4.I have no clue if you can call CPS on a pregnant person, but i'd assume you can try. She shouldn't be drinking, but a bar cannot refuse selling the alchohol (that maye change state to state or perhaps owner to owner?)

These are not all facts. Some are and others are my opinion.
    Anonymous

• This is just my opinion.

1&2. Solid foods for such young babies is very harsh on the stomach, since it's not yet ready to tolerate it. Cereal can cause babies to gain too much wait, plus they can choke on the extra thickness. Babies can create allergies from eating different foods too early and without enough time between each food type. In my DD case, when she turned 5 months I had to feed her formula, 3 jars of food + 2 snacks a day because she wasn't gaining weight. She's a hyper little thing:)

3. Every child develops at a different pace. But not talking at age 3 is a little off. I know someone who has an Autistic child who is like that. I wonder who the childrens' Dr. is. It's odd that the Dr. hasn't already confronted these issues.

4. She was very BLESSED to have a healthy child. Considering the second child is not born yet, I don't know what you will be able to do. Please do what you can to help. =)
    Anonymous

• I agree with all answers and as for the last one, it really gets to me when a woman does things like that when she is pregnant, personally i feel that it should be illegal. The unborn child can not defend its self or try in any way to get away from the alcohol.  I would definitely call cps, if you don't you will always wonder what if and if they cant do anything, at least you made the call.  They wont criticize you for caring too much.

mccurry328

Answer by mccurry328 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• 1,2,3..let the parent be the parent
    4.thats ridiculous, i cant believe she has it in her mind that its ok to drink...i have no idea about the cps thing..could always just call and ask if you feel the need
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• 1) Unless the doctor said it's all right, she really shouldn't be doing that.
    2) That's way too young for solids like that. They should have formula or breast milk only until they are at least 4-6 months of age.
    3) All little ones are different, and will develop different skills at different rates. Although that does seem a bit odd, I can't say for sure if that would be some type of syndrome.
    4) My ex boyfriend's new girlfriend who is like 14 (he's 17) claimed to be pregnant when she talked to me but then all over her MySpace this past week she's been putting things like "sippin on that vodka" and stuff like that. I b!tched her out about the FAS and she claimed it was just to piss off her boyfriend. I'm still mad as hell about it, and told her to educate herself (which she claimed she did but I highly doubt it). Personally, women who put themselves before their babies during pregnancy shouldn't be allowed to have kids.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When I say "during pregnancy" I mean if she decides to keep the child. The only way a woman should be allowed to put herself first before the baby is if she decides to have an abortion, which I don't agree with unless you have a logical explanation for terminating a pregnancy.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• 1.) It's absolutely not safe. It's a choking hazard, and shouldn't be done unless a Dr orders it for acid reflux. However, she's the mom, so there isn't much you can do.

2.) He's 5 months, so NOW it's okay, but there isn't much you can do about the things she's done in the past...however she's sadly mistake if she thinks it'll make her baby grow faster. It's not miracle grow, it's food.

3.) I don't know about that one. She could just be a typical 3 year old. Most kids are filled with endless energy at that age.

4.) I don't think she should be reproducing if she thinks it's okay to get drunk every night. Or that feeding her baby soon will make him grow faster. Just because she got EXTREMELY lucky with her first doesn't mean it will happen again. The odds are against her. Regardless of being pregnant, if she's getting drunk every night with a child in the house already, you should call CPS. See what you can do
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2009