is anyone elses 2yr old not talking yet ..?

my ds turned 2 on may 15 , and hes already in speech therapy .. he only says dada and mama .. and points and grunts .. i just wanted to see if i was alone ...

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 10:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My fifth child and second son didn't speak until he was three, and then, within two months started speaking in full sentences!! So don't worry. It will come. Just keep talking to your toddler in full sentences (not baby-talk) and it will come!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My daughter just turned two and she only says a few words. She's getting better. I know someone who didnt speak until she was 4. She's really smart so I wouldnt worry for awhile.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My son said a handful of words by the time he was 2 &did the whole grunting/pointing thing. At about 28 months I realized that I was doing all the talking for him. Like when he would want a drink out of the blue cup, he would point. I wouldn't know which cup he was pointing to so instead of asking him to tell me, I would pull every cup out of the cabinet & say, "This one??? This one???" He smile giving me his approval when I finally grabbed the right cup. I would do stuff like this all the time not realizing it at all. Finally, (I remember the exact moment) the second I made the decision to stop talking for him, he started up and hasn't stopped. I was laying in bed & kept pulling on my arm to follow him. Usually I would say, "Oh, you want me to go with you?" Instead, I said, if you want me to come, you HAVE to say, "MOMMY COME!" He did & he's been talking ever since.

Kids will talk when they are ready. It will happen
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My oldest son was talking in sentences at 2, so when my middle son didn't talk, at 2...3....and even 4 I was worried. I took him to the dr several times. He just had a few words. The dr told me I was worried about nothing.....& he turned out to be right. Once he started talking he has never shut up. In high school he won speech competitions, & I'm constantly told how articulate & intelligent he is. I'm not saying not to do speech therapy, because it sure can't hurt, but I would relax. What I found with each child is they do some things faster than other children and some a little slower. First son talked young & extremely well.....but didn't walk until he was 14 months old. Second son never crawled...he started walking at 7 months old, & was running soon after....but didn't talk until age 4-5. Third son walked at 10 months old, & was talking at 2......they all ended up very articulate, potty trained....and walking!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• From what I've read about toddlers (and I read alot), toddlers can't do many things at once..in fact...they usually mainly concentrate on one thing to develop...so, those toddlers that are talking non stop, are usually behind in something else eg: talking at 1 year old say but didn't walk till they are 15 months old. Or some could be the other way - walking at 10 months but no real words till they are 2 years old. So, have a look at your child and see what they're concentrating on - do you have physical child (running, jumping that sort of thing) or do you have a mental child (fine motor skill development, talking , likes puzzles etc). Even though one area gets a little left behind, everything catches up with each other so by the age of 5 say you have a very balanced and happy child.
    Mookie74

Answer by Mookie74 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My oldest daughter was talking nonstop by age 2. My youngest, however, who just turned 2 on May 7th, still isn't saying much. I just had her evaluated by early intervention, and she will be starting speech therapy August 4th. So no, you are definately not alone, and it feels kind of good to know that I'm not either!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son was a late talker as well. We started him in speech therapy at 18 months but it still took a few months before he started to say words. I wouldn't worry about it but keep an eye on how he's progressing. Talk to his therapist and/or your service coordinator (if he's in Early Intervention) about your concerns if you don't see progress in another few weeks/months (depending on how long he's been in therapy.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009