introducing milk

my little one turns 1 in a couple of weeks. i gave her whole milk today and it seems like she is pooping up a storm. its not diarrea, but it is mushy. is this normal? do most kids get "poopy" when introduced to cows milk?

lovinsophie

Asked by lovinsophie at 10:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi, my little man is turning 1 year in August and I decided to introduce him to cow's milk last weekend and YES HE IS POOPING A STROM. Don't worry, is should all stablize within 48 hours.

Your only priority, is to keep an eye out for any allergic reactions like swelling or red spots. Other than that relax, YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!

VOULA
    voula111

Answer by voula111 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• milk did that too me when I started drinking it again during pregnancy (i hadn't drank it in years) so maybe its normal for baby's too. It is completely different from what she is used to. How bad is it?
    amomineed

Answer by amomineed at 10:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• its not bad... its just a lot! lol. we went from poopin 2 times a day to 6 times a day. and its much stinkier. i know this sounds funny, but im a first time mom and i dont know what to expect!
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 10:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• don't feel bad, mine isn't that old though. I worry about everything I don't understand. well I have to go now because the internet is closing. Try googling it. Here is about allergy to milk
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/allergies/milk_allergy.html
    but talk to the doctor about anything before you panic. people usually have diarhea etc when introduced a new food (or climates when traveling@) so it could be nothign g2g!
    amomineed

Answer by amomineed at 10:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Mine was pooping alot after we transitioned. She is now back to once a day. My LO has been on it for 2 1/2 mos. Just be patient. We also went as far as being constipated b/c she was getting too much milk. We cut back to 1 8oz glass a day with 1 cup 1/2 juice 1/2 water and then fill the rest of the day in with water has really helped.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• You don't have to give her cow milk. It comes with a lot of tummy problems just for calcium and vitamin D that you can get elsewhere.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009