Help with breastfeeding!!

I'm breastfeeding and my seven week old wants to eat all of the time. Sometimes it seems she is only happy on the breast and isn't always eating. Could it be she is not getting enough milk at feeding time? She is gaining plenty of weight so the doctor says she's getting enough so why does my baby always want the breast?

acosmann87

Asked by acosmann87 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• B/c it is comforting to them...I know you are frusterated and need to do other things...lol....but enjoy that special one on one time...I wish mine were little enough to do that again...sniff sniff.

But during the times you really need to take a break.....maybe you could try a paci. Babies reallly need to satisfy that sucking instinct. ;)
    Anonymous

• Lol, I know what you are talking about. I wish someone had warned me too about how much they want to nurse. With my daughter nothing helped but nursing her. I just learned to relax, let my house go, and enjoy my daughter.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would use your own judegment. I had the same problem with my son. I felt like he wasn't gaining wait like he should actually he seemed to be loosing weight. The only time he was happy at all was when he was nursing, and he wanted to do it all the time. I was getting no sleep, and like you my docter said his weight was fine for his age. I even tried using a breast pump so I could get some sleep and realized I wouldn't even get 1oz. Anyway I tried for 3 months and then gave him a bottle as suppplement and he was much happier and was getting more sleep. Just hang in there it might take some time for your milk to kick in and you can give him supplements. Good luck. Congrads on new baby
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• comfort thing! and it's ok! you feel warm and make her feel secure while breastfeeding.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• she could be going through another growth spurt. it's normal. just keep nursing on demand, that way you'll make enough milk for her. if you try to supplement w/ a bottle of formula, it will hurt your supply. so, just keep up the good work and make sure your still eating healthy and drinking lots of water.
    just make sure she is have 6-8 diaper changes a day.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2009