Breakfast suggestions

My 1 yo is learning to be a self feeder. She does well with most things. She prefers her cheerios. I was wondering what else we can try for breakfast. She doesn't like eggs or any bread product like pancakes. I am trying to let her be independent when eating, but we are doing cream of wheat with fruit and yogurt selections. I just want to help her be a little more independent.

coala

Asked by coala at 11:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try waffles! my son loves them topped with cream cheese and fruit preserves. offer sliced kiwi, bananas, strawberries, muffins (made from scratch is always rewarding and healthier, especially if you use fresh fruit like blueberries)...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My son doesn't like pancakes, but he will eat waffles. Especially blueberry waffles. I get the whole-grain sort and cut it in four wedges. Sometimes he enjoys toast with 100% fruit jam. If we are on the go, I give him apple-cinnamon rice cakes with thin, thin layer of peanut butter. He loves it, and gets his whole-grains. Make sure your little one gets fresh fruit no matter what she eats.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Don't hesitate to let her use her fingers for Cream of Wheat. Just make it a little thicker. Scrambled eggs are good too. But remember that lots of kids have cheerios for breakfast. Dry cheerios, a cup of milk, and fresh fruit is an excellent breakfast.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Do a variation on plain old cheerios. I often do a toddler parfait for my little one..mix chunks of fresh fruit in with dry cheerios and coat it in yogurt. Yummy! I just recently started giving her small chunks of ham or canadian bacon (but she likes eggs too so it kind of goes together). I often do whole grain toast with cream cheese...spice it up and get blueberry or strawberry cream cheese.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thick oatmeal is great because it sticks to the spoon and my son could eat it without making any mess around 18 months old. He also loved to feed himself banana chunks with a fork and cut up waffles. My son doesn't care for eggs much, but he loves french toast. Those are all foods that little ones can feed themselves fairly easily and without too much mess.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Definitely waffles. My dd hated eggs too....but I noticed only when they were scrambled. So I started to fry it (over medium) and put it on a piece of toast. I'd then cut it up and give it to her. She loves eggs now.
    StefMc07

Answer by StefMc07 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• nutrigain ceral bars
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 6:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009