What are your views on buying your tweens or teens brand name clothes for back to school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in

• I would buy a few items that are reasonably priced but not everything. Sorry, but Kmart, Target and Walmart are just as good for anyone else. I would say that if they earn their own money and want to buy items like that then fine, but if mom and dad don't see it as reasonable then that is okay too.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Thank heavens mine are in uniforms until the 9th grade. It makes choosing the days clothing simple and it is way less expensive. At least for us, here, it does.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I set a budget per child. They can choose fewer expensive clothes....or more clothes in a reasonable price range. My boys are pretty easy, and we buy clothes at Ross, T.J. Maxx, Marshal's, our local swap meet, and clearance sales. Last year I found Levi's and DKNY jeans for $10 a pair at Ross, Shirts on sale at Penny's for 8-15 dollars, I bought them each 5 new pairs of jeans, 5-7 shirts, a hoodie, shoes, socks and underwear for $150 each....all name brand and new.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would say go to consignment shops that have gently used name brand clothes for cheap, like Playto's Closet and any local places, and then maybe a few new things at regular stores like jcpenney and Kohl's always have good sales. they should be grateful they even get anything cause a lot of people can't afford new stuff

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 11:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would buy them some, but they don't all have to be brand-name. I would probably set a budget and let them know that they may spend it in whatever way they'd like. If they'd like to buy less items, but better brands, fine. If they'd like to buy lesser known brands and more items, that's fine too.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Target carries some really cute things. Tell them they can have 4 brand name outfits or 12 off brand ones.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• i wouldnt mind buying them some brand names, especially if they are on sale. but not everything.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• My mom had what I think was a very fair take on this question: she determined what she thought was reasonable for, say, a pair of jeans, and if I wanted something more expensive I had to pay for the difference. nothing wrong with learning that non-designer/name clothes aren't the end of the world, or learning the value of money, or of earning "luxuries"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My tween knows not to ask for name brand stuff cause at this point in her development shes growing faster than i can keep clothes on her back and Im not paying out the rear for clothes shes growing out of in three months anyway, now as she gets older i may splurge and buy her one or two (shoes maybe or a good pair of jeans) name brand things but not much more than that cause in my mind why pair more for the same style decent quality pair of jeans at target, old navy, etc
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my teen daughter is the only one right now into labels. I make my kids go through their rooms and figure out what they need for school this year. I then allocate so much money. I let them know that they can get what they want but 3 tshirts that equal 50 dollors means they get those shirts and a few othewr items. She usually shops the clearance racks and than shops Target, Old Naby, Walmart and what ever. She doesn't care as long as she thinks its cute.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2009