Did you know this about circumsisions?

I saw a post where so many moms were talking about their babies falling asleep during the surgery...how is this possible, they are cutting part of the penis off, how is that possible?

The skin of the penis of a newborn baby has pain receptors completely sensitive to clamping and cutting. The myth that newborns do not feel pain came from the observation that newborns sometimes withdraw into a deep sleep toward the end of the operation. This does not mean that they do not feel pain. Falling into a deep sleep is a retreat mechanism, a withdrawal reaction as a consequence of overwhelming pain. Not only does circumcision cause pain in the penis, the newborns over all physiology is upset. New research shows that during un-anaesthetized circumcision, stress hormones rise, the heart rate speeds, and valuable blood oxygen diminishes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• So? The baby's heartrate also increases during delivery and their stress hormones rise. Seriously, this is a troll post. Circumcision is a personal choice, leave people alone.
    Anonymous

• No, this is not a troll post. And stress and heart rate was not the only thing mentioned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No, I did not know that about the sleep part.
    I do belive circimcision is a personal choice. My hubs and I chose not to have our 3 circumsized, but I respect others choice if they do it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• This is being posted I believe because the poster does not think that everyone KNOWS this information already. If you choose to ignore the information and still needlessly cut off part of your sons penis that is your business, but this may help some other mother's out there who are on the fence about it.

How do you know that their stress hormones rise during delivery? I have never seen a study and don't know how they could do one since the baby is still in the birth canal making it difficult/impossible to test stress hormones. Most babies heart rates drop during delivery not rise too.

To the OP thank you for sharing this information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I have a 3 yr old who is circumsized and i have a 2 yr old who isnt. I have had more troubles with the 2 yr old i can even clean his penis he starts screaming and its gotten to the point where the foreskin is so tight that i cannot pull it back.
    d3vilbunny

Answer by d3vilbunny at 11:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• d3vilbunny, only the child is supposed to pull back the foreskin. it normally does not retract until around puberty, sometimes earlier or later, but only the boy will know whether to retract it or not. that's the reason most men have problems with being uncircumcised, because their foreskin was retracted before it should have been.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

OP here:  You are NOT SUPPOSE TO PULL THE FORSKIN BACK TO CLEAN IT!!!!!  That is why he is having problems.  look it up on the internet, I am not making this up. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Under the forskin is attatched skin, when you pull it back forciblly it TEARS THE SKIN allowing germs and bacteria to get in. The uncirc''ed penis requires NO SPECIAL care, just wash it like a finger.

When a boy is around the age of 6 or 7 sometimes not until puberty it will release and HE AND ONLY HE will be able to pull it back to rinse. NO SOAP!

THIS IS WHY SO MANY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH UNCIRC"ED PENISES, MISINFORMATION!!!!

Anonymous

• My son slept through his circumcision. I was in there when it was done. The doctor also put a numbing cream on his penis before snipping. Also, they are not cutting off the penis during a circumcsison.

OP: you really just need to stop trying to make moms feel bad for a parenting choice. You chose not to circumcise but that doesn't mean you are better than those of us that decided to do so. Give it up already. THIS IS A PERSONAL CHOICE. And you are wrong, an uncircumcised penis still needs to be cleaned properly or infections happen. Where do you get your info?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• tyfry I get my info ALL over the place, I am NOT wrong about the way to care for a CHILDS uncir'ced penis...read info...you do NOT retract it at all ever, it is attached under there and causes it to tear leaving open wounds that can then let an infection in.

Seriously, read.

I never said they cut the entire penis off, but they do cut part of it off....can you disagree with that....?

I am passing along information that is from medical resources, I didnt sit around and decide I liked these ideas...Did you read what I said about why they go to sleep?

If your son had numbing cream maybe it deadened it some, but who knows how much, hopefully all the way...but i dont know that, do you?

People can choose many different things to do, I cannot control them ,but I can pass along info to those who are thinking about it.....

Anonymous